Missing hivesys.inf - cannot install XP

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBha2EgSW5Ucm91Ymxl?=

      7th Jun 2004
Hi

I tried to install Win XP Home via CD on a drive that had Win 95 on it. At first I tried to install XP over top of 95...that didn't work. So I ended up trying to format the drive, then install XP. It would almost get through the whole installation, then would come up with the error "Corrupt hivesys.inf file. Windows XP installation cannot continue. Press enter to restart." or something to that affect
What did I do wrong? Do I have to use the Win XP boot disks to be able to install it? or a Win 98 disk? There is no OS on it now because I toasted it
Thank you in advance

Josh

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      7th Jun 2004
Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Josh aka InTrouble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| Hi,
|
| I tried to install Win XP Home via CD on a drive that had Win 95 on it. At first I tried to install XP over
top of 95...that didn't work. So I ended up trying to format the drive, then install XP. It would almost get
through the whole installation, then would come up with the error "Corrupt hivesys.inf file. Windows XP
installation cannot continue. Press enter to restart." or something to that affect.
| What did I do wrong? Do I have to use the Win XP boot disks to be able to install it? or a Win 98 disk?
There is no OS on it now because I toasted it.
| Thank you in advance!
|
| Josh

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBha2EgSW5Ucm91Ymxl?=

      8th Jun 2004
I followed the link and tried to do a clean install. It still gave me the same error.
"Line 1 of hivesys.inf is corrupt. Windows did not install. Press f3 to restart your computer

Any other ideas

----- Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote: ----

Clean Install Windows X
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.htm