Missing Entire Network Icon

=?Utf-8?B?TGlubiBBbGxlbg==?=

      1st Jul 2005
I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to find
anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?aG90ZW1h?=

      1st Jul 2005
Linn,

Is the "Client for Microsoft Networks" enabled in local area connection
properties?

"Linn Allen" wrote:

> I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
> Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to find
> anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      1st Jul 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Linn
Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a very remote user on an XP pro SP2 box. She accesses My Network
>Places and says that the Entire Network icon is missing. I can't seem to find
>anything in the KB articles. Any ideas?

Whether there's an Entire Network icon may depend on how you view My
Network Places.

When I click the My Network Places icon on the desktop or the Start
menu, there's no Entire Network icon in the window that appears.

When I run Windows Explorer, click My Network Places in the left pane,
and then click View | Refresh, the Entire Network icon appears in the
left pane, but not in the right one. I can drag the Entire Network
icon from the left pane onto the desktop and then access it directly
from the desktop.

I don't know whether this behavior is a feature or a bug. :-)

I recommend dragging/dropping other frequently-used icons (workgroups,
computers, shared disks/folders) from My Network Places to the
desktop, too. Accessing a network resource directly from a desktop
icon is faster and more reliable than browsing through My Network
Places.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

PeterM

      1st Jul 2005
I got the network icon, by changing my property on the taskbar to Classic
view, and boom, I had a Network icon. Try it and you will too.........Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...