missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system

=?Utf-8?B?ZndfbWFu?=

      28th Jan 2006
Hello all,
I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.

What can I do?
All help is very much appreciated.
fw_man

Bruce Chambers

      28th Jan 2006
fw_man wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
> do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
> So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
> WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
> not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
> files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
> is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.
>
> What can I do?
> All help is very much appreciated.
> fw_man

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Unk

      28th Jan 2006
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:35:03 -0800, fw_man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello all,
>I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
>do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
>So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
>WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
>not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
>files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
>is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.
>
>What can I do?
>All help is very much appreciated.
>fw_man

windows\system32\config\system\....missing or corrupt!

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822705

=?Utf-8?B?ZndfbWFu?=

      29th Jan 2006
Bruce,
The trouble is that I do not get to recovery console. I don't get Welcome to
Setup screen. As I said in my original post, it gets to starting windows (on
the bottom line) and hangs there. Any more suggestions are appreciated.
fw_man

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> fw_man wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
> > do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
> > So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
> > WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
> > not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
> > files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
> > is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.
> >
> > What can I do?
> > All help is very much appreciated.
> > fw_man

> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
> Starting
>
> Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:
>
> How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues

> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers

      29th Jan 2006
fw_man wrote:
> Bruce,
> The trouble is that I do not get to recovery console. I don't get Welcome to
> Setup screen. As I said in my original post, it gets to starting windows (on
> the bottom line) and hangs there. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

Boot from the WinXP installation CD and use it to access the recovery
console by pressing <R> when prompted.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: