Minimized session window causes disconnect

JJimmy

      12th Jun 2005
I have remote clients (usually up to 5) connecting to a Windows 2000
Server (SP4) via terminal services. For some reason, whenever a client
minimizes their session window to the task bar and waits a few minutes
(it seems to be between 3-5 mins), when they try to bring the window
back up from the taskbar, it just shows a black screen and then
eventually displays the message "The connection to the remote computer
was broken. This may have been caused by a network error. Please try
connecting to the remote computer again." I have read the posts about
enabling keep alives and setting the keep alive interval and time-- I
have done all of this on the server, and yet I still continue to
experience the issue. I have double and triple checked to make sure the
settings were set correct in the registry. I also have TS set to never
disconnect idle sessions. After searching for hours, I've run across
quite a few people with this issue, but the only solution anyone ever
seems to have is the keep-alive fix. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem
to be making any difference. I've also seen a few posts mentioning
screen savers causing a problem, but there isn't one enabled on the
client or the server. I also checked the router to see if there was
anything strange in the settings. It's a Linksys BEFSX41, updated
firmware, and there is no setting anywhere for killing a connection
that appears idle (even though keep alive is enabled, I've seen people
mention this as a possible isssue in other posts). I'm really at a loss
for why this is happening, since I've done just about everything I can
think of to keep the connection active, yet it still disconnects if and
only if the window is minimized to the task bar. I've brought up
sessions on machines where the remote desktop window stays maximized,
walked away for two hours and come back with it running just fine (no
disconnects). I've run ping tests of varying sizes against the router
without any drops. The terminal server is set up in the DMZ, so port
forwarding isn't an issue. If anyone has experienced a problem similar
to this and has any suggestions for something to try, I'd really
appreciate it, since I'm about out of ideas. Thanks!

New Member

      17th Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmy
[...]

I just can think the problem is in Routing and Remote Access.

Go to Administrative Tools in your RRAS server, - open Routing and Remote Access - select Remote Access policies - at the right pane, select and right click each policy - Edit Profile - Dialing Constraints - verify the option "Minutes Server can remain idle before it is disconnected" is not selected. Restart RRAS.

Luck,

Ernie

Last edited by eabasolo; 17th Jun 2005 at 09:03 PM..

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBSb3VzZQ==?=

      20th Jun 2005
RDP does NOT connect via RRAS (unless you're connecting via VPN or Dial-up).

--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"eabasolo" wrote:

> JJimmy Wrote:
> > I have remote clients (usually up to 5) connecting to a Windows 2000
> > Server (SP4) via terminal services. For some reason, whenever a client
> > minimizes their session window to the task bar and waits a few minutes
> > (it seems to be between 3-5 mins), when they try to bring the window
> > back up from the taskbar, it just shows a black screen and then
> > eventually displays the message "The connection to the remote computer
> > was broken. This may have been caused by a network error. Please try
> > connecting to the remote computer again." I have read the posts about
> > enabling keep alives and setting the keep alive interval and time-- I
> > have done all of this on the server, and yet I still continue to
> > experience the issue. I have double and triple checked to make sure
> > the
> > settings were set correct in the registry. I also have TS set to never
> > disconnect idle sessions. After searching for hours, I've run across
> > quite a few people with this issue, but the only solution anyone ever
> > seems to have is the keep-alive fix. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem
> > to be making any difference. I've also seen a few posts mentioning
> > screen savers causing a problem, but there isn't one enabled on the
> > client or the server. I also checked the router to see if there was
> > anything strange in the settings. It's a Linksys BEFSX41, updated
> > firmware, and there is no setting anywhere for killing a connection
> > that appears idle (even though keep alive is enabled, I've seen people
> > mention this as a possible isssue in other posts). I'm really at a
> > loss
> > for why this is happening, since I've done just about everything I can
> > think of to keep the connection active, yet it still disconnects if
> > and
> > only if the window is minimized to the task bar. I've brought up
> > sessions on machines where the remote desktop window stays maximized,
> > walked away for two hours and come back with it running just fine (no
> > disconnects). I've run ping tests of varying sizes against the router
> > without any drops. The terminal server is set up in the DMZ, so port
> > forwarding isn't an issue. If anyone has experienced a problem similar
> > to this and has any suggestions for something to try, I'd really
> > appreciate it, since I'm about out of ideas. Thanks!

> I just can think the problem is in Routing and Remote Access.
>
> Go to Administrative Tools in your RRAS server, - open Routing and
> Remote Access - select Remote Access policies - at the right pane,
> select and right click each policy - Edit Profile - Dialing Constraints
> - verify the option "Minutes Server can remain idle before it is
> disconnected" is not selected.
>
> Luck,
>
> Ernie
>

> --
> eabasoloPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

New Member

      7th Jul 2005
JJimmy,

I am having the exact same difficulties on two new back up servers.....SP4 - Windows 2000 with the same Linksys routers BEFSX41. However, on my orginal server with a Linksys Router BEFSR11, No Problems. Is the router the issue? I have examined every setting in the router. Nothing! This is driving me nuts and my clients are giving up on me. Does anyone have a suggestion???????? Thanks!

New Member

      26th Sep 2007
I am experiencing the same issue in nearly identical circumstances. Win 2000 Server SP 4 and the same linksys router, I am almost certain that is the issue now. I will swap the router and post the result.

Thanks folks

Last edited by Mugs; 26th Sep 2007 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Bad Spelling

New Member

      26th Jan 2008
Just came across this identical problem right down to the same linksys router models mentioned by xsryman. Was there a resolution to this?