mind mapping

Mother Nellie

      22nd Oct 2008
Where do I find a mind mapping tool within Microsoft Office? I've been told
there is a free download in Excel but I can't find it.

I'm using MS Office 2007 in Windowns Vista

Can anyone help?

Bob I

      22nd Oct 2008
Ok, I'll bite, where did you hear about this "mind mapper"?

Mother Nellie wrote:

> Where do I find a mind mapping tool within Microsoft Office? I've been told
> there is a free download in Excel but I can't find it.
>
> I'm using MS Office 2007 in Windowns Vista
>
> Can anyone help?

Gord Dibben

      22nd Oct 2008
Office does not have a mind mapping tool but Excel will interface with your
mind mapping application.

Do a 'net search for mind mapping excel to find many hits.

Did not run through to see if any are free.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:12:16 -0700, Mother Nellie <Mother
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where do I find a mind mapping tool within Microsoft Office? I've been told
>there is a free download in Excel but I can't find it.
>
>I'm using MS Office 2007 in Windowns Vista
>
>Can anyone help?

Bruce Sinclair

      23rd Oct 2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>Office does not have a mind mapping tool but Excel will interface with your
>mind mapping application.
>
>Do a 'net search for mind mapping excel to find many hits.
>
>Did not run through to see if any are free.
>Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

No idea if these connect with excel (other than as data sources) but I have
played with a few packages claiming to be mind map related. I kept freemind
(freemind.sourceforge.net) and keynote (http://keynote.prv.pl), both of
which are free. Freemind is more the classic mind map s/w, giving pretty
pictures and connections and keynote calls itself a 'tabbed notebook for
windows' and to me, is the more useful as a connection to XL files.

HTH

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:12:16 -0700, Mother Nellie <Mother
>(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Where do I find a mind mapping tool within Microsoft Office? I've been told
>>there is a free download in Excel but I can't find it.
>>
>>I'm using MS Office 2007 in Windowns Vista
>>
>>Can anyone help?

Argey

      23rd Oct 2008
On Oct 23, 7:23*am, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> >Office does not have amind mappingtool but Excel will interface with your
> >mind mappingapplication.

> >Do a 'net search for * *mind mappingexcel * *to find many hits.

> >Did not run through to see if any are free.
> >Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

> No idea if these connect with excel (other than as data sources) but I have
> played with a few packages claiming to bemind maprelated. I kept freemind
> (freemind.sourceforge.net) and keynote (http://keynote.prv.pl), both of
> which are free. Freemind is more the classicmind maps/w, giving pretty
> pictures and connections and keynote calls itself a 'tabbed notebook for
> windows' and to me, is the more useful as a connection to XL files.
>
> HTH
>

> >On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:12:16 -0700, Mother Nellie <Mother
> >(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Where do I find amind mappingtool within Microsoft Office? I've been told
> >>there is a free download in Excel but I can't find it.

> >>I'm using MS Office 2007 in Windowns Vista

> >>Can anyone help?- Hide quoted text -

Visio has a mindmapping template, if you want to stay with MS s/w,
though I
haven't seen anything about integration with Excel.

FreeMInd has various ways of talking to Excel, see:
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki...xport_to_Excel
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki...86.90_FreeMind

That page also says "Import and export with Microsoft Excel works by
drag &
drop or copy & paste of complete nodes. You can copy a selection of
cells in
Excel and drop it in FreeMind. Doing this with several columns,
creates
corresponding child nodes."

Roy
http://www.topicscape.com