Migrating to an SSD

Yousuf Khan

      31st Mar 2012
On 30/03/2012 6:32 PM, Dave-UK wrote:
> As I said before I had to stop Win7 from running the defrag schedule but
> Win8 looks much better regarding SSDs.
> The defrag option is now called ' Optimize and defrag drive' and the
> 'Defragment now...' button is labelled 'Optimize'.
> On running Optimize it takes about 2 seconds to 'trim' the drive (120 G/B).
> Optimization is scheduled to run weekly by default.

What is Win8's definition of "optimization" for SSD's?

Yousuf Khan

BillW50

      31st Mar 2012

"Dave-UK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4f776604$0$2448$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4f771882$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
>> On 30/03/2012 6:32 PM, Dave-UK wrote:
>>> As I said before I had to stop Win7 from running the defrag schedule
>>> but
>>> Win8 looks much better regarding SSDs.
>>> The defrag option is now called ' Optimize and defrag drive' and the
>>> 'Defragment now...' button is labelled 'Optimize'.
>>> On running Optimize it takes about 2 seconds to 'trim' the drive
>>> (120 G/B).
>>> Optimization is scheduled to run weekly by default.

>> What is Win8's definition of "optimization" for SSD's?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

> Nothing about SSDs in Help and Support yet for Win8, either off-line
> or on-line so nothing to read there.
> On Googling around a bit this is all I found that mentions Win8:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Defragmenter_(Windows)
>
> And I found this on my search, which recommends disabling System
> Restore
> on an SSD. Item 3, 'The most important piece in this guide'.
> I'd not heard of that one before.
> http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ation-guide-2/
>
> And when I check my Win8 box (Intel SSD) the System Restore is turned
> off by default.
> So I check back on my Win7 box (OCZ-Vertex3) and that is also off with
> a weird folder
> icon for a 'missing C: drive'. The settings for this missing drive are
> greyed out.
>
> http://www.admin1.myzen.co.uk/restore7.PNG
>
> When I try to restore from an earlier time I've no restore points to
> access.
> I am sure I did not manually turn System Restore off ???

Yes all true! You heard about keeping the swapfile off of the SSD too,
right? And if that is all you got, then to turn the swapfile off.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009

Dave-UK

      31st Mar 2012

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:jl7q3c$bvq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave-UK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4f776604$0$2448$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> And when I check my Win8 box (Intel SSD) the System Restore is turned
>> off by default.
>> So I check back on my Win7 box (OCZ-Vertex3) and that is also off with
>> a weird folder
>> icon for a 'missing C: drive'. The settings for this missing drive are
>> greyed out.
>>
>> http://www.admin1.myzen.co.uk/restore7.PNG
>>
>> When I try to restore from an earlier time I've no restore points to
>> access.
>> I am sure I did not manually turn System Restore off ???

> Yes all true! You heard about keeping the swapfile off of the SSD too,
> right? And if that is all you got, then to turn the swapfile off.

What do you mean , ' all true' ? Who disabled System Restore ?

Gene E. Bloch

      31st Mar 2012
On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:
> capitol gains tax

capital gains tax

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Gene E. Bloch

      31st Mar 2012
On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:22:03 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake wrote:
>>
>>> I did,
>>> however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I win
>>> I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
>>> luck, I hope I win.

>> When you do can I have your SSDs :-)

> Sure. If by some chance I stop moving long enough to look back. Most
> likely some shmuck that can't even spell SSD will inherit them when he
> cleans out the abandoned home I leave behind.

Well, OK, but don't keep it a secret. How *does* one spell SSD?

Thanks in advance, I need the help :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

BillW50

      31st Mar 2012

"Dave-UK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4f7783fe$0$27219$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jl7q3c$bvq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Dave-UK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4f776604$0$2448$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> And when I check my Win8 box (Intel SSD) the System Restore is
>>> turned off by default.
>>> So I check back on my Win7 box (OCZ-Vertex3) and that is also off
>>> with a weird folder
>>> icon for a 'missing C: drive'. The settings for this missing drive
>>> are greyed out.
>>>
>>> http://www.admin1.myzen.co.uk/restore7.PNG
>>>
>>> When I try to restore from an earlier time I've no restore points to
>>> access.
>>> I am sure I did not manually turn System Restore off ???

>> Yes all true! You heard about keeping the swapfile off of the SSD
>> too, right? And if that is all you got, then to turn the swapfile
>> off.
>>

> What do you mean , ' all true' ? Who disabled System Restore ?

Who disabled System Restore? I dunno, maybe the driver or something. Or
maybe Windows 7 does this for all SSD drives by default, I dunno. And it
has been over 2 years ago that I ran Windows 7 under an SSD. So I don't
recall what it did for System Restore.

--

On 31/03/2012 5:16 PM, Dave-UK wrote:
> And I found this on my search, which recommends disabling System Restore
> on an SSD. Item 3, 'The most important piece in this guide'.
> I'd not heard of that one before.
> http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ation-guide-2/

I wouldn't do this, this is a safety feature.

> And when I check my Win8 box (Intel SSD) the System Restore is turned
> off by default.
> So I check back on my Win7 box (OCZ-Vertex3) and that is also off with a
> weird folder
> icon for a 'missing C: drive'. The settings for this missing drive are
> greyed out.
>
> http://www.admin1.myzen.co.uk/restore7.PNG
>
> When I try to restore from an earlier time I've no restore points to
> access.
> I am sure I did not manually turn System Restore off ???

Well, if yours was already disabled, then you're probably not going to
miss anything.

One of the other suggestions in the above guide was to disable disk
defragmentation, and I found that the SSD wasn't even listed on the
defrag schedule, so there's no way to disable it, since there's no way
to enable it either. The only things listed in the defrag schedule were
my proper hard disks.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      31st Mar 2012
On 31/03/2012 4:40 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> Yes all true! You heard about keeping the swapfile off of the SSD too,
> right? And if that is all you got, then to turn the swapfile off.

In my case, I just moved the swapfile to an alternate drive.

Yousuf Khan

Gene E. Bloch

      1st Apr 2012
On 3/31/2012, Allen Drake posted:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:28:11 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:

>>> Sure. If by some chance I stop moving long enough to look back. Most
>>> likely some shmuck that can't even spell SSD will inherit them when he
>>> cleans out the abandoned home I leave behind.

>> Well, OK, but don't keep it a secret. How *does* one spell SSD?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, I need the help :-)

> About three hundred at a time.

???

I'm OK with a small degree of subtlety, but now you've gone way too far
:-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)