Migrating to an SSD

Drew

      24th Mar 2012
On 3/24/2012 2:28 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:20:48 -0400, Yousuf Khan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
>> to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
>> system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
>> I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
>> some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
>> sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
>> needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
>> away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?

> Windows 7 supports trim, no problem.
>
> The issue that matters is that a simple copy onto the drive will
> produce a misaligned layout that will be bad for performance. There
> are programs out there that will take a drive and correctly align the
> data, I have never looked into them.

Not trying to be argumentative but wondering where you got that info. My
ssd scores a 7.2 (older motherboard does not support higher speeds) on
the WEI and I would think that is pretty good for a 6 year old system. I
am running a Intel 320 series 120gig drive and my old Intel x25 40 gig
had the same score. Running any programs or even everything open and
doing any work is like changing channels on a tv, it is instantaneous.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

      25th Mar 2012
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allen Drake
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[]
>Intel's claim is actually "at least" 5 years at 20GBytes of writes per
>day.

[]
I presume that's 20G randomly spread around the drive.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

a little bit of me still feels that some southerners think we northerners are
issued at birth with doomed kestrels. - Alison Graham, Radio Times,
3-9/11/2007.

Char Jackson

      25th Mar 2012
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:23:20 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allen Drake
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>[]
>>Intel's claim is actually "at least" 5 years at 20GBytes of writes per
>>day.

>[]
>I presume that's 20G randomly spread around the drive.

My understanding is that it's taken care of for you automatically,
i.e., wear leveling.

--

Char Jackson

Yousuf Khan

      25th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 6:08 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
> Did you mention which SSD you have? I just received number 10 a few
> days ago. I have mostly Crucial and have had to update firmware twice
> so far. Not a problem though.

Corsair Force 3 240GB.

Yousuf Khan

      25th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 6:20 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
> I would think it would depend on the capacity of the SSD. I use 256GB
> SSDs and so far I have only used 60 GB. I do have backup HDDs
> installed along with USB3 external for large video and music, etc.

No, I'm not worried about space, I bought one big enough to accommodate
everything that I have in my current boot drive. I'm more worried about
writing too much to the SSD. My understanding is that SSD's wear down
with too much writing to them. Thunderbird and the swapfile would be
some major recurring write events.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      25th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 6:28 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> When it is said that they "are a good host" or "not so good", is that in
> terms of performance, or longevity? I'd have thought that in terms of
> performance, even if non-optimal, having almost any file on an SSD would
> be better; but I could also believe that certain much-written files
> would significantly shorted the life of the SSD, especially if not
> optimised (is that what this "Trim" thing is about?).

Yeah, longevity is my major concern here too, so should I avoid putting
anything that has too much writing happening to it? As for Trim, it's a
command that tells the SSD that a sector is no longer in use, so it can
go in and erase that area during idle moments in the background.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      25th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 6:49 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
> Follow The Below Steps To Increase The Life of Your SSD Drives On
> Windows 7
>
> http://www.computerforums.org/forums...-a-208106.html
>

> This guide is a year old so I would suggest reading as much as
> possible from different authors.

Although there is some good info here, it sounds like he's just giving
general advice on how to improve Windows responsiveness. My
understanding is that SSD's are pretty sensitive to writes, but there's
never a problem with reading from an SSD. But this article seems to give
advice on how to minimize reads too.

Yousuf Khan

J. P. Gilliver (John)

      25th Mar 2012
In message <4f6e9406$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On 24/03/2012 6:28 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> When it is said that they "are a good host" or "not so good", is that in
>> terms of performance, or longevity? I'd have thought that in terms of
>> performance, even if non-optimal, having almost any file on an SSD would
>> be better; but I could also believe that certain much-written files
>> would significantly shorted the life of the SSD, especially if not
>> optimised (is that what this "Trim" thing is about?).

>Yeah, longevity is my major concern here too, so should I avoid putting
>anything that has too much writing happening to it? As for Trim, it's a
>command that tells the SSD that a sector is no longer in use, so it can
>go in and erase that area during idle moments in the background.
>
> Yousuf Khan

I'm not understanding what you mean by "erase" here. Are SSDs different
in some way, i. e. aren't bits erased anyway when overwritten?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"He hasn't one redeeming vice." - Oscar Wilde

Dave-UK

      25th Mar 2012

"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4f6e9350$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
> On 24/03/2012 6:20 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
>> I would think it would depend on the capacity of the SSD. I use 256GB
>> SSDs and so far I have only used 60 GB. I do have backup HDDs
>> installed along with USB3 external for large video and music, etc.

> No, I'm not worried about space, I bought one big enough to accommodate
> everything that I have in my current boot drive. I'm more worried about
> writing too much to the SSD. My understanding is that SSD's wear down
> with too much writing to them. Thunderbird and the swapfile would be
> some major recurring write events.
>
> Yousuf Khan

I think you are worrying too much about wear and tear on an SSD.
This will tell you how long you've got left. :-)
(There's a free or pro version)
http://www.ssd-life.com/

J. P. Gilliver (John)

      25th Mar 2012
In message <4f6ee5bc$0$1658$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dave-UK
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4f6e9350$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
>> On 24/03/2012 6:20 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
>>> I would think it would depend on the capacity of the SSD. I use 256GB
>>> SSDs and so far I have only used 60 GB. I do have backup HDDs
>>> installed along with USB3 external for large video and music, etc.

>> No, I'm not worried about space, I bought one big enough to
>>accommodate everything that I have in my current boot drive. I'm more
>>worried about writing too much to the SSD. My understanding is that
>>SSD's wear down with too much writing to them. Thunderbird and the
>>swapfile would be some major recurring write events.
>> Yousuf Khan

>I think you are worrying too much about wear and tear on an SSD.
>This will tell you how long you've got left. :-)
>(There's a free or pro version)
>http://www.ssd-life.com/

Interesting. Two things I note from that site:

1. The software (ssd-life) doesn't actually do any tests; it just
reports SMART data from the drive in a friendly way (including making
note if you run it two or more times and predicting a life from that).

2. I hope I've got this wrong, but it seems to imply that once an SSD
has reached the end of its life, which seems to be decided _by the SSD
itself_, it switches to read-only.

Oh, and a third thing: individual cells can be written to about ...
originally, 10,000 times; recently revised down to 5,000. With the wear
levelling that's (I think) built into the drive's hardware (more likely
firmware), this translates to 20G writes a day for 5 years for some
Intel drive (it gives the model number but not what size it is).

It seems to me, though, that as SSDs become more common, there needs to
be a tweak to OSs, such that frequently-written files - the registry,
page files, etc. - are treated differently by the OS. (Though if SSDs
are expected to last five years, that'll probably not happen, as OS
manufacturers want us to replace the OS - and by extension the computer
- more often than that. But that's just me being cynical.) Actually, I
think this sort of behaviour - commonly-modified files being treated
differently - should have been around long ago anyway.