Migrating to an SSD

Yousuf Khan

      24th Mar 2012
Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?

Yousuf Khan

Flasherly

      24th Mar 2012
On Mar 23, 10:20 pm, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
> to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
> system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
> I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
> some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
> sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
> needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
> away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?
>
> Yousuf Khan

PCMAG-

A third-party utility, CrystalDiskInfo, confirmed that this disk did
not offer support for the TRIM command, which is one of the key
requirements for proper SSD operation. (Using the TRIM command allows
the system to properly erase blocks of data in the background; for an
explanation, see this excellent article by Anand.) Windows 7 supports
the TRIM command natively; earlier Windows versions donít.

what's the firmware. . .is it great?
disc cntrl (BIOS) - AHCI Mode (b4 W7 install)
use manufacturer's - do NOT use W7 for full format, out-of-box
condition
DO use W7 for create partition (unless U like misaligned disks)
INTEL SATA controller drivers. . .are they great?
W7: Windows Experience Index. Score should be greater than 7.
2nd level confidence: Get and run CrystalDiskInfo. Verify NCQ & TRIM.

dweebken

      24th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 1:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
> to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
> system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
> I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
> some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
> sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
> needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
> away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?
>
> Yousuf Khan

On a new SSD, first I had to create a partition and format the drive. I
then used Acronis trueimage Home 2012 to clone my laptop's HD to the
SSD. Then swapped the drives and the SSD booted up just fine. Then
Windows recognised a new drive in the system and loaded the drivers for
the SSD quite happily. then rebooted and just enjoyed the incredible
speed. It was as simple as that. Windows 7 has TRIM support built in.

My SSD is a Corsair Performance3 256 GB device, on a Toshiba Portege
R830 Laptop using Intel Core i5, and Win 7 Professional 64 Bit. Also
have 8GB RAM.

Also, once I had it working, I installed SSD tweaker from
http://elpamsoft.com/Downloads.aspx?Name=SSD%20Tweaker
and ran that.

Oh, you might want to also run ATTO Disk Benchmark before and after too,
to see the speed increas for yourself. It's free.

My laptop used to take 10 min and more to boot up from cold to useable.
Now it does a full reboot in under a minute.

hth

Bob I

      24th Mar 2012
You will see a LOT of opinions, some good, some not so. For my
installation, I decided on the drive, and then followed the
manufacturers recommendations for installation, setup and configuration.
For me that meant a clean install and load. So before creating your own
install procedure, read up.

On 3/23/2012 9:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
> to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
> system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
> I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
> some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
> sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
> needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
> away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Drew

      24th Mar 2012
On 3/23/2012 7:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
> to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
> system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
> I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
> some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
> sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
> needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
> away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Recently did the same with a drive that had become too small to hold my
windows7.I installed a new Intel 120 gig ssd into my "box' and then
using the included Intel migration software it took approx 15 minutes or
less to migrate my boot drive to the new ssd. I then rebooted and
changed the boot order.At that point it changed my new drive to c: and
changed the old drive to L:. Worked perfectly and after 1 month I
formatted the old drive and it is now storage. Intel Migration Software
is just a free somewhat limited version of Acronis I believe and it is
updated frequently.I was leery about doing it but I found it was
amazingly easy and required very little on my part to perform this.
What brand of ssd did you purchase Yousuf?

Yousuf Khan

      24th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 3:16 AM, Allen Drake wrote:
> You can simply clone your system drive as I did at first when I
> upgraded all my systems but that is not always the best option. You
> need to know about SSD partition alignment
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...alignment.html
>
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Good info, I'll read through these.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      24th Mar 2012
On 24/03/2012 3:27 AM, charlie wrote:
> Besides all of the above, there is another, perhaps quite important
> consideration. SSDs are a good host for "static" files, and not so good
> for dynamic ones. It would seem that windows should be reorganized on
> that basis, with static directories and files on the SSD.
> The registry will likely need manual editing to accommodate the changes.

That's actually something I was thinking about. Should I move things
like the swapfile, Thunderbird data, and just "User" folder in general,
off to regular storage?

Yousuf Khan

Loren Pechtel

      24th Mar 2012
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:20:48 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Okay, got myself an SSD now. So I want to migrate my Windows boot drive
>to it. I have access to a couple of cloning utils that can properly copy
>system disks and make them bootable, so that's not a problem. However,
>I'm wondering if it's really that simple? I understand that there are
>some tuning that needs to be done to SSD's, such as setting its cluster
>sizes, etc. Also there is something called TRIM support that Windows 7
>needs to implement. Is this something that's built into Windows 7 right
>away, or is it something that needs to be installed? Anything else?

Windows 7 supports trim, no problem.

The issue that matters is that a simple copy onto the drive will
produce a misaligned layout that will be bad for performance. There
are programs out there that will take a drive and correctly align the
data, I have never looked into them.

Loren Pechtel

      24th Mar 2012
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:27:30 -0400, charlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Besides all of the above, there is another, perhaps quite important
>consideration. SSDs are a good host for "static" files, and not so good
>for dynamic ones. It would seem that windows should be reorganized on
>that basis, with static directories and files on the SSD.
>The registry will likely need manual editing to accommodate the changes.
>
>(I have two SSDs (120G each) in systems that I'm going to "reorganize",
>as soon as I figure out a reasonable way to accomplish the task.

That's the theory at least but even though I didn't do anything to
keep the dynamic stuff off the SSDs I'm happy with how they are
performing.

I have a 256gb that hosts my Win7 system and a 128gb that hosts two
virtual machines. They've been in use for a year now and I've managed
to write so much to the 128gb one that it's life is down to 99%. The
256gb is still at 100%.

BillW50

      24th Mar 2012
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Loren Pechtel wrote:
> They've been in use for a year now and I've managed to write so much
> to the 128gb one that it's life is down to 99%. The 256gb is still at
> 100%.

What are you using that tells you what the wear level is?

--
Bill