migrating from Outllok 2000 to Outlook 2003

=?Utf-8?B?RGlhbmU=?=

      23rd Jun 2005
One of my users has saved e-mail out to a pst file stored on the server.
When I upgraded your computer from Outlook 2000 to 2003, the .pst is still
accessible, however when you open a message there are headers but no content
in the body. Attachements are accessible as well.

I have tried:
Repairing the inbox
Reinstalling Office 2003
Reinstalling Outlook selecting the advanced installion

What else might I try?

thanks! Diane

Brian Tillman

      24th Jun 2005
Diane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One of my users has saved e-mail out to a pst file stored on the
> server. When I upgraded your computer from Outlook 2000 to 2003, the
> .pst is still accessible, however when you open a message there are
> headers but no content in the body. Attachements are accessible as
> well.

How did you connect the old PST to Outlook? How was the original PST saved
to the server?
--
Brian Tillman

=?Utf-8?B?RGlhbmU=?=

      24th Jun 2005
The .pst was saved in the usual way but the location was changed to a mapped
drive on the server. this way it is backed up nightly.

The conection to the pst was made using the open data file on the File menu
and connecting it to the server location.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Diane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > One of my users has saved e-mail out to a pst file stored on the
> > server. When I upgraded your computer from Outlook 2000 to 2003, the
> > .pst is still accessible, however when you open a message there are
> > headers but no content in the body. Attachements are accessible as
> > well.

> How did you connect the old PST to Outlook? How was the original PST saved
> to the server?
> --
> Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

      24th Jun 2005
Diane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The .pst was saved in the usual way

And what way was that? I don't know your practices. Can you state your
exact steps?

> but the location was changed to a
> mapped drive on the server. this way it is backed up nightly.

Not necessarily. First, Microsoft doesn't support network-based PSTs. It
can lead to data loss and corruption of the PST. Second, if you leave
Outlook open, the PST cannot be reliably backed up. A good backup can be
made only when Outlook is closed. The best way is to use the PFBACKUP tool
from Microsofty and then move that backup copy to the network folder.

> The conection to the pst was made using the open data file on the
> File menu and connecting it to the server location.

Which is the correct way.
--
Brian Tillman

Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]

      30th Jun 2005
Under 'Tools|Options|Preferences|E-mail Options', make sure the "Read all
standard mail in plain text" checkbox is Not checked.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...