Migrate Outlook 2007 categories to new PC / PST file

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      22nd Sep 2007
You failed to quote a post in a thread too old to contain the posts to which
you are replying. Accordingly your comments are without meaning and out of
context. They are also wrong. Any reader of these groups knows that no one
has documented Microsoft's deficiencies in migrating PST files more often or
more forcefully than the MVP's nor posted the solutions and workarounds more
often.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"skeetman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wanted to reply too. David Jonathan did his homework! He posts a useful
> reply--unlike the MS MVP folks--whose comments, were in all honesty,
> immature
> disrespectful. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows MS has
> made
> it incredibly difficult to migrate emails, email settings, stationary, and
> so
> forth from one computer to another. The MVP folks were less than
> useful--shame on them!
>
> David does point folks in the right direction with the MS utility, which
> will back up the aforementioned settings. Boy, I'll tell you, it must be
> too
> much work for an MVP to put in a link to the MS utility.
>
> David, thanks for your useful reply! To the MVPs, shame on your arrogance
> and incestuous nature to keep such knowledge to a small community.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSm9uYXRoYW4=?=

      23rd Sep 2007
Russ,
I am not a _reader of these groups_, (just an overworked IT Support guy), so
I only come to these forums to try to find solutions to problems that I am
trying to solve. I appreciate that MVP's take the time and trouble to try and
help. Could you repost any links you are refering to regarding migrating PST
(and personal user data), particularly as it it relates to Outlook 2007.
If you have anything to useful to add to my solution post I would be much
appreciative.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You failed to quote a post in a thread too old to contain the posts to which
> you are replying. Accordingly your comments are without meaning and out of
> context. They are also wrong. Any reader of these groups knows that no one
> has documented Microsoft's deficiencies in migrating PST files more often or
> more forcefully than the MVP's nor posted the solutions and workarounds more
> often.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "skeetman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I wanted to reply too. David Jonathan did his homework! He posts a useful
> > reply--unlike the MS MVP folks--whose comments, were in all honesty,
> > immature
> > disrespectful. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows MS has
> > made
> > it incredibly difficult to migrate emails, email settings, stationary, and
> > so
> > forth from one computer to another. The MVP folks were less than
> > useful--shame on them!
> >
> > David does point folks in the right direction with the MS utility, which
> > will back up the aforementioned settings. Boy, I'll tell you, it must be
> > too
> > much work for an MVP to put in a link to the MS utility.
> >
> > David, thanks for your useful reply! To the MVPs, shame on your arrogance
> > and incestuous nature to keep such knowledge to a small community.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      23rd Sep 2007
Sure. Most of the problems that arise in Outlook 2003 and 2007 are the
result of the fact that both versions automatically create a new PST file
and set it as the default every time you create a new profile. Outlook is
very particular in how you can then migrate or reuse a previous PST file.
You can't import it. You can't overwrite another PST file. You must open a
previous PST file in the new profile, then you can either reuse it by
setting it as the default, or copy the data from it into the current PST
file. Details here:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"David Jonathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Russ,
> I am not a _reader of these groups_, (just an overworked IT Support guy),
> so
> I only come to these forums to try to find solutions to problems that I am
> trying to solve. I appreciate that MVP's take the time and trouble to try
> and
> help. Could you repost any links you are refering to regarding migrating
> PST
> (and personal user data), particularly as it it relates to Outlook 2007.
> If you have anything to useful to add to my solution post I would be much
> appreciative.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You failed to quote a post in a thread too old to contain the posts to
>> which
>> you are replying. Accordingly your comments are without meaning and out
>> of
>> context. They are also wrong. Any reader of these groups knows that no
>> one
>> has documented Microsoft's deficiencies in migrating PST files more often
>> or
>> more forcefully than the MVP's nor posted the solutions and workarounds
>> more
>> often.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "skeetman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I wanted to reply too. David Jonathan did his homework! He posts a
>> >useful
>> > reply--unlike the MS MVP folks--whose comments, were in all honesty,
>> > immature
>> > disrespectful. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows MS has
>> > made
>> > it incredibly difficult to migrate emails, email settings, stationary,
>> > and
>> > so
>> > forth from one computer to another. The MVP folks were less than
>> > useful--shame on them!
>> >
>> > David does point folks in the right direction with the MS utility,
>> > which
>> > will back up the aforementioned settings. Boy, I'll tell you, it must
>> > be
>> > too
>> > much work for an MVP to put in a link to the MS utility.
>> >
>> > David, thanks for your useful reply! To the MVPs, shame on your
>> > arrogance
>> > and incestuous nature to keep such knowledge to a small community.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSm9uYXRoYW4=?=

      23rd Sep 2007
BillR, Sorry for the delay in replying, and my apologies for not being
clearer in my original post. My style in posting is, generally, to provide
background, and save my question for the end. (Applies here).
I mentioned that the PST file had become corrupt just as background
regarding how I had arrived at the Category Migration issue. Yes, there are
nightly backups for the user in question (if the user leaves the PC on),
however, like most users, this user is unwilling to lose any of today’s
email.
I have used the ScanPST tool many times for this particular user, as an old
backup software would sometimes fail to back up the PST file (_File is in
use_ error, even with Outlook closed). I found the ScanPST.exe tool over at
Slipstick.com. This tool was able to repair the Outlook 2000, and later her
Outlook 2003 file. Why her PST file would become corrupt every now and then,
I have never discovered. I have repaired this particular user's PST file at
least a dozen times. The ScanPST.exe tool has performed the repair function
without error, whenever it was used on Outlook 2000 and 2003 PST files.
I have also migrated this user's PST data to new PST files using Outlook's
Import - Export tool several times. I had upgraded, in place, this users
Outlook 2003 to 2007, 2-3 days prior to finding that the PST file was again
corrupt. Due to the history that I have had with this user, I ran the ScanPST
tool prior to doing the upgrade just to make sure that I had a good PST file
(according to ScanPST). (I try to run the ScanPST tool prior to all upgrades
and migrations, based only on that it has found and fixed problems for me in
the past.) The PST file was opening and appeared to be working without error,
but, I was having a problem syncing the user's Outlook Calendar to her new
iPhone. (The iPhone problem turned out to be that the iTunes-iPhone sync tool
would fail if there were any open ended recurring appointments (i.e.,
holidays, birthdays, etc) in Outlook.)
In troubleshooting the iPhone sync problem, I started by running ScanPST.exe
on the newly created 2007 PST file. I always run the tool multiple passes
until it runs clean, as it does not always fix all of the problems it finds
on the first pass. This time, after the first pass, ScanPST would report
errors, but would not display a Repair button. I tried running ScanPST
several times, and even rebooted, with the same result. Since the PST file
would open, and appear to operate normally in Outlook 2007, I decided to
import the PST data into a new PST file. The Import appeared to work and
ScanPST ran without error on the new PST file. At this point I discovered
that the import had left the new PST file with only default Categories.
Eventually I ended up here, on this forum, with my question about Migrating
Outlook 2007 Categories, (and either too much, or too little background).

Here’s the question:
In your reply to my post, you very strongly state _DON'T use import again
or you risk the same issue._
I respect that you must know of some problem using the Import function of
Outlook 2007 that I am unaware of.
Can you please provide a few details of what the issues are with using the
Outlook 2007 Import? And, what method or tools do you like that allow the
issue to be avoided?

Thanks

"BillR [MVP]" wrote:

> If you could use import then you could possibly open the PST file. Of
> course, being the professional you are you would have backed it up first.
>
> DON'T use import again or you risk the same issue.
>
> Rules have an Import and Export option.
> I'm not going to the extra hassle of looking up the links for "other" info
> you can back up with your attitude so you can go and Google that yourself.
>

> --
> Bill R MVP
> "David Jonathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > BillR, Thanks for the reply, however, your brief comment was not helpful.
> >
> > As I said previously, the old PST file had become corrupted so that
> > Scanpst.exe could not fix it. So, continuing to open and use the corrupt
> > file
> > did not seem wise to me. I am unaware of any method of extracting user
> > data
> > (the important stuff) from a pst file except by exporting or importing
> > from
> > within Outlook. Please explain what exactly you think is the problem that
> > the
> > import/export feature creates, and what is the alterative method that
> > Microsoft publishes?
> >
> > Also, I still need to know how Microsoft has planned that I should be
> > migrating user Outlook data (PST, signatures, spam lists, rules, you know,
> > the work product of the user.). Where has Microsoft published this
> > information? Is there anyone who has this kind of knowledge to share?
> >
> > PS, I fixed the problem I was having with the categories by going to the
> > Personal Folders (root) properties and selecting Upgrade to Color
> > Categories... Why this should work and how it works I do not know. I
> > would
> > love to be pointed to a published source of information on the practical
> > underpinings (registry keys, file locations, etc) for Outlook 2007.
> >
> > Thanks in again for your help.
> >
> > -DJ
> >
> > "BillR [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Your problem was probably caused by using the import feature. If you can
> >> open a PST it is better to do that then copy data to the new PST.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bill R MVP
> >> "David Jonathan" <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSm9uYXRoYW4=?=

      23rd Sep 2007
Brian, My appologies for providing what seemed to be conflicting information
in my previous post. I have posted a more detailed background in a reply to
BillR's reply. Please feel free to contribute on that thread if you like. I
would very much like to learn more about the the best way to be migrating
Outlook 2007 users to new PC's.
Thanks

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> David Jonathan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Brian, Thanks for the reply. So you are saying (while not answering
> > any of my questions) that I should purchase the Office Recovery tool
> > for $250, because why?
> >
> > I was able to export the data just fine

> Before you said that you couldn't open the original PST: "As I said
> previously, the old PST file had become corrupted so that Scanpst.exe could
> not fix it." Either the original file is good, implied by your statement
> above, or it's not. It can't be both. If you can export from a PST, it
> can't be corrupt. If it were, you wouldn't be able to open it to export
> anything. Based on your earlier statement that the ORIGINAL PST was
> corrupt, I was merely stating that if SCANPST can't handle it AND the data
> is very important, then you'll have to consider a commercial solution. Do
> so or don't do so. The choice is yours, but don't supply conflicting
> information.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

New Member
glennww's Avatar
Location: Brisbane, Australia

      14th Oct 2008
A developer can build the solution in half the time it takes the techie to explain the problem. In my experience techies can tell you a million reason why not where as developers will just do it.

A simple tool for the layman to use to move export/import categories between any Outlook version can be found at.

http://www.klemid.de/files/vba/TransferCategories.zip

Member
thepcer's Avatar

      12th Jan 2011