Microsoft is trashing Windows Explorer

John Doe

      28th Mar 2009

I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking for
one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the Windows 7
beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is beginning to look like
an ornament. Apparently the same goes for Vista.

When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does nothing.
In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand the folder
and automatically close the previous folder at the same time. That was
very useful to me. And then there is all the additional junk above the
"computer" folder, as if Microsoft thinks "computer" is a bad word to
be hidden away. And then there is the fact that font sizes and types
can no longer be adjusted (without screwing up other programs on your
system).

Oh well... Firefox was a pleasant surprise, maybe a third-party file
manager will be too.

DanS

      29th Mar 2009
John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:0Kxzl.16983$as4.15708
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking for
> one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the Windows 7
> beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is beginning to look like
> an ornament. Apparently the same goes for Vista.
>
> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does nothing.
> In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand the folder
> and automatically close the previous folder at the same time.

That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder list', an
option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

DanS

      29th Mar 2009
DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:0Kxzl.16983$as4.15708
> @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:
>

>> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking for
>> one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the Windows 7
>> beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is beginning to look like
>> an ornament. Apparently the same goes for Vista.
>>
>> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
>> nothing. In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand
>> the folder and automatically close the previous folder at the same
>> time.

> That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder list',
> an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

In XP that was anyway.

John Doe

      29th Mar 2009
DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking
>>> for one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the
>>> Windows 7 beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is
>>> beginning to look like an ornament. Apparently the same goes for
>>> Vista.
>>>
>>> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
>>> nothing. In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to
>>> expand the folder and automatically close the previous folder at
>>> the same time.

>> That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder
>> list', an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

> In XP that was anyway.

You misspelled "I am clueless".

John Doe

      29th Mar 2009
"Cat-In-A-Flat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking
>> for one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the
>> Windows 7 beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is
>> beginning to look like an ornament. Apparently the same goes for
>> Vista.
>>
>> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
>> nothing.

> Try double clicking.

Single clicking is easier. Besides, it doesn't close the previous
folder.

>> In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand the
>> folder and automatically close the previous folder at the same
>> time. That was very useful to me. And then there is all the
>> additional junk above the "computer" folder, as if Microsoft
>> thinks "computer" is a bad word to be hidden away. And then there
>> is the fact that font sizes and types can no longer be adjusted
>> (without screwing up other programs on your system).
>>
>> Oh well... Firefox was a pleasant surprise, maybe a third-party
>> file manager will be too.

John Doe

      29th Mar 2009
"Cat-In-A-Flat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> "Cat-In-A-Flat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Try double clicking.

>> Single clicking is easier. Besides, it doesn't close the previous
>> folder.
>>

> if you double click it, it will close.

Yes it will. But in XP, you could just single click on another
folder name and the prior folder would automatically close. If you
did not want the prior folder to close, you could use the plus sign.

Really though... the fact Windows Explorer fonts cannot be changed
without disrupting the entire system is depressing. Microsoft is
de-evolving its file manager. Not being able to change fonts is
pathetic IMO and it smells like a rat.

DanS

      29th Mar 2009
John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:mJAzl.13171$hc1.5748
@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

> DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder
>>> list', an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

>> In XP that was anyway.

> You misspelled "I am clueless".

I am clueless because I told you what a feature was called ?

No, it's not misspelled.....it's spelled J o h n D o e.

John Doe

      30th Mar 2009
DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> DanS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> In XP that was anyway.

>> You misspelled "I am clueless".

> I am clueless because I told you what a feature was called ?

I knew what the feature was called in Windows XP, but this is a
Windows Vista group and my question was about Windows Vista/7. To
doublecheck your answer, I reinstalled the Windows 7 beta. Of course
that was a waste of time. The conclusion is that you might be better
off answering technical questions in "alt.TheSimpsons" or similar.

If you are going to answer Windows Vista questions with information
about Windows XP, make that clear the first time.

--
thanks to the other answers