Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager???

JethroUK©

      27th Apr 2008
I have desktop PC and only one monitor and I can't see why i need to run it
*ever* and yet this task is in my scheduler programmed to run every time
anyone logs on - and it's been running now for 17 hours continuous????

Do i need this task to run?

There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' unnecessary tasks being
performed - e.g. 'mcupdate' checks for media centre updates (which i never
use) - even if i did a check once per month would be sufficient - but this
is scheduled to run every - single - day

does this explain why i don't have enough processing power left to open an
explorer window in under 20 seconds despite having 4 times the power of my
ol XP machine?

Are there any tasks known to be useless that i can disable? and hopefully
speed up my machine

Jon

      27th Apr 2008
"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uV0Rj.127513$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I have desktop PC and only one monitor and I can't see why i need to run it
>*ever* and yet this task is in my scheduler programmed to run every time
>anyone logs on - and it's been running now for 17 hours continuous????
>
> Do i need this task to run?
>
> There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' unnecessary tasks being
> performed - e.g. 'mcupdate' checks for media centre updates (which i never
> use) - even if i did a check once per month would be sufficient - but this
> is scheduled to run every - single - day
>
> does this explain why i don't have enough processing power left to open an
> explorer window in under 20 seconds despite having 4 times the power of
> my ol XP machine?
>
> Are there any tasks known to be useless that i can disable? and hopefully
> speed up my machine

You can disable the majority of the tasks in there, without any major
issues. The subfolder in which they're located gives a good indication of
which programs they're connected to. If you don't use multiple monitors or
Media Center, then sure, disable them.

--
Jon

Frank

      27th Apr 2008
vishhiita prime wrote:
>>There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' >unnecessary tasks being
>>performed - e.g. 'mcupdate'

> In case you haven't noticed it you are using vista, the most bloated and
> stupidly designed OS ever made.

In your own opinion.

> I have to spend 30-45 mins tweaking vista after a clean install in order
> for it to work even slightly well..

You mean you send 30-45 mins ruining Vista, seeing as how you're noted
for your lack of computer skill and are an incompetent fool.

> its crap total crap, a true pig with lipstick

It sure has made a fool out of you hasn't it?...LOL!
Frank

Frank

      27th Apr 2008
Clear Windows, the idiot moron loser wrote:

--------------------------------
Thanks for proving my point capin' crunch. Vista owns you and has made a
complete and utter fool out of you!...LOL!
Frank

Jon

      28th Apr 2008
"Clear Windows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Hello, can you give us a more detailed list of what we can disable and
> why..
> or do you know of some resource online?
>
> I have tried various configurations of these tasks.. but I would like to
> compare with what other people are doing
>
> thanks

I don't know of any definitive resource, but see if this MS link helps

Description of the scheduled tasks in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939039

AFAIK there are no major issues disabling any of those tasks, and by major
issues I mean Vista not booting - not whether an automatic restore point is
created or not, or whether a calendar reminder works You'll lose a bit of
inbuilt functionality if you disable anything in there, but the question is
how significant that piece of functionality is to you.

In the early days of my using Vista, when I was testing out the new os, I
ran it exclusively within a virtual machine. There speed was a, if not
*the*, primary concern, and one area I experimented with was disabling
nearly all of those tasks - without any major problems.

For example being able to run DirectX applications within a virtual machine
meant that I had little need of Media Center background tasks, BUT when
using it normally installed on a machine I would keep the task the OP
mentioned 'mcupdate' enabled, since it's a useful task that downloads the
'guide' - which I often use and wouldn't want to do without. Tasks like
defragmentation and System Restore I disable in favour of my own
preconfigured tasks- and it's up to you if you want to help MS out with
their next os via the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" or "Windows
Error Reporting" - matter for individual choice, I suppose.

So it would be difficult to give a "one-size-to-fit-all" answer, but
perhaps that helps a bit.

--
Jon