Microsoft Software mirroring (Data recovery)

saddison@arnel.co.uk

      24th Apr 2006
Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but i am having
real problems trying to find an answer.

I have a Windows 2000 server which is acting as a file server. i have
configured 2 HDD for dynamic software mirroring using the Windows tools
and all is good.Data is being copied and mirrored across the 2 hard
drives. I started to work through some disaster recovery scenarios and
cannot find a solution to this one.

One of the mirrored drives fails and the server hardware fails. The
'good' mirrored hard drive is removed and I want to copy data from
it. How do I do it?

I have tried connecting the hard drive to another server but disk
management displays the drive as "unreadable" and the only option
available seems to be reformatting it. I would have thought that I
could connect the hard drive and just copy data from it but this does
not seem to be possible.

Please let me know what I am missing here as its driving me crazy!

ratman and bobbin

      24th Apr 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but i am having
> real problems trying to find an answer.
>
> I have a Windows 2000 server which is acting as a file server. i have
> configured 2 HDD for dynamic software mirroring using the Windows tools
> and all is good.Data is being copied and mirrored across the 2 hard
> drives. I started to work through some disaster recovery scenarios and
> cannot find a solution to this one.
>
> One of the mirrored drives fails and the server hardware fails. The
> 'good' mirrored hard drive is removed and I want to copy data from
> it. How do I do it?
>
> I have tried connecting the hard drive to another server but disk
> management displays the drive as "unreadable" and the only option
> available seems to be reformatting it. I would have thought that I
> could connect the hard drive and just copy data from it but this does
> not seem to be possible.
>
> Please let me know what I am missing here as its driving me crazy!

How about mounting the drive as the boot drive on other hardware? To
recover from a recent problem I simply connected a Raid 5 array to another
computer and the system came back up.
Geoff

saddison@arnel.co.uk

      24th Apr 2006
Thanks for the suggestion but the drive is not the boot drive, Its only
used to store files and folders
I did try your idea on a mirrored boot drive and like you say it works
(solved one of my other problems) so thanks for the idea.

Any thoughts on the other problem?

Si

ratman and bobbin

      25th Apr 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the suggestion but the drive is not the boot drive, Its only
> used to store files and folders
> I did try your idea on a mirrored boot drive and like you say it works
> (solved one of my other problems) so thanks for the idea.
>
> Any thoughts on the other problem?
>
> Si

So you have a mirrored pair and then another hd, not mirrored, and its the
unprotected hd you have this problem with? Did you configure it as Dynamic?
Maybe this is the problem.
Geoff

saddison@arnel.co.uk

      28th Apr 2006
Sorry for replying so late, the setup is:

Windows 2000 server loaded onto Disk1

Disk2 is a Dymanic Mirrored drive
Disk3 is a Dymanic Mirrored drive

The dymanic drives contain files and folders of users on the network

The scernario is:
Disk3 has a hardware problem and the becomes faulty. Disk1 fails and is
not recoverable. The hardware fails and cannot be reproduced.

I want to be able to connect Disk2 to another server and access the
data on the disk but i cannot seem to do this.

Any help would be great!