Microsoft shortens Windows name

Yousuf Khan

      20th Aug 2004
The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
X86-64 marketing names.

Yousuf Khan

http://entmag.com/news/rss.asp?editorialsid=6343

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Stubby Boardman

      21st Aug 2004

"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T4hVc.1825883$(E-Mail Removed)...
| The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
| systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
| or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
|
| Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
| X86-64 marketing names.
|
| Yousuf Khan

How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
I wonder?

Ed Light

      21st Aug 2004

"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
> or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

Will there be a Home edition?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

MyndPhlyp

      21st Aug 2004

"Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
> > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

> Will there be a Home edition?

The Home edition seems to be somewhat dysfunctional - they're thinking about
calling it X Spouse. It was going to be finalized in a matter of weeks, but
attorneys for both parties are dragging matters out and it's getting very
messy.

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

/..

      21st Aug 2004
By Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:31:46 GMT, "MyndPhlyp" <(E-Mail Removed)>
decided to post "Re: Microsoft shortens Windows name" to
alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64:

>"Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
>> > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

>> Will there be a Home edition?

>The Home edition seems to be somewhat dysfunctional - they're thinking about
>calling it X Spouse. It was going to be finalized in a matter of weeks, but
>attorneys for both parties are dragging matters out and it's getting very
>messy.
>
>(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

In order to rid one's self of the floppy, one should upgrade to mistress
4.0, taking care not to overwrite spouse 2.1 or girlfriend 17.2(beta).

These patches and workarounds should be applied only to systems specified
in this document<link>; they should be considered to be under testing at
this point, and should only be applied if symptoms mentioned above persist.

Next time, RTFM before LYAO, k????

/ts

--

find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
That's why we drink it here,
And when we're all gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking all the beer!
-- Famous old Czech song about beer --

Yousuf Khan

      21st Aug 2004
Stubby Boardman wrote:
>> Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for
>> all X86-64 marketing names.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>>

> How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
> I wonder?

Probably one more than the one that came up with "64-bit Edition for 64-bit
Extended Systems". :-)

Yousuf Khan

Tony Hill

      21st Aug 2004
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:37 -0700, "Stubby Boardman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:T4hVc.1825883$(E-Mail Removed)...
>| The previously named Windows XP and 2003 "64-bit edition for 64-bit extended
>| systems" has now just been shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
>| or Windows Server 2003 for X64.
>|
>| Looks like Microsoft has decided on X64 as the universal moniker for all
>| X86-64 marketing names.
>|
>| Yousuf Khan
>|

>How many staff meetings did it take for them to think up 'X64'
>I wonder?

Probably none. It sounds to me like the middle management was off
having countless staff meetings to decide on "64-bit edition for
64-bit extended systems" while everyone actually doing the work just
ignored all that garbage and decided on 'X64'.

Then, after the bean counters figured out that the staff-meeting name
was going to require them to completely redesign the box, labels and
all marketing material because it was just too long, someone figured
on the bright idea of completely ignoring the morons who thought of
this name in the first place and just using 'X64', which is what
everyone was calling it in the first place.

Ok... maybe that's just my version of the events without having
actually been involved in any way :>

-------------
Tony Hill

Johannes H Andersen

      21st Aug 2004

Ed Light wrote:

> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
> > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

> Will there be a Home edition?

Since M$ used Rolling Stones 'Start me up' for promoting Win95,
I suppose that this time they will use The Beatles 'When I'm 64'.

Alexander Grigoriev

      21st Aug 2004
LOL!

IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

"Johannes H Andersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ed Light wrote:
> >
> > "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > > shorted to "for X64". Eg. Windows XP Pro for X64
> > > or Windows Server 2003 for X64.

> > Will there be a Home edition?

> Since M$ used Rolling Stones 'Start me up' for promoting Win95,
> I suppose that this time they will use The Beatles 'When I'm 64'.

Lee Waun

      21st Aug 2004

"Alexander Grigoriev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:xwIVc.8681$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LOL!
>
> IIRC, "I can't get no satisfaction" was used for Win95?

Nope it was "Start me Up" for win95