Microsoft Paint missing..

=?Utf-8?B?SXJlbnk=?=

      13th Sep 2007
I recently performed a complete system recovery on my laptop and now I can't
find Microsoft Paint to edit my pictures... It is not in the Accessories in
the All Program/start menu and when I did a search, there was a Paint
application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing happened and it had to
shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?? Thank you in advance.

John Inzer

      13th Sep 2007
Ireny wrote:
> I recently performed a complete system recovery on my laptop and now
> I can't find Microsoft Paint to edit my pictures... It is not in the
> Accessories in the All Program/start menu and when I did a search,
> there was a Paint application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing
> happened and it had to shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did
> wrong?? Thank you in advance.

===================================
MS Paint is not much of an editor...have you tried
the freeware FastStone Image Viewer?

FastStone Image Viewer
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

After the system recovery did you reinstall all the
updates that were released since the recovery
file was created?

Maybe the following article will be useful:

How do I install / uninstall mspaint?

Also here's a copy of a message previously posted:
===
"MS Paint error in mfc42u.dll / paint will not open"

The following info was previously posted by:
David Shiflet [MSFT]...maybe it will be useful
to you.

Before editing your registry, I strongly suggest
that you read the following KB article:

Information About Editing the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256986#Topic2

Here's a copy of David Shiflet's message:
================================
================================

This bug will be fixed in Service Pack 2 of
XP. You can work around it by editing some
registry keys which somehow got messed up.

There is a "Bars" value at this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\General-
Summary

Change this value to match the number of
"General-Bar#" keys which are under this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint

For example, if you have the keys "General-
Bar0" and "General-Bar1", make sure the
Bars value is set to 2.

Use regedit.exe to change the registry; there
are various sites online which describe how
to use regedit.

================================
================================

Here's another article:

(218632) Invalid Page Fault Starting Word
Pad or Paint
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218632

And finally...there is a more advanced version
of paint that you can download free from the
following site:

Paint.NET
http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
(Requires: .NET Framework 2.0)

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=?Utf-8?B?SXJlbnk=?=

      13th Sep 2007
John,

Thank you for your post. I will definitely check out your suggestions!! Once
again, Thanks a bunch.

John Inzer

      13th Sep 2007
Ireny wrote:
> John,
>
> Thank you for your post. I will definitely check out your
> suggestions!! Once again, Thanks a bunch.

============================
You're welcome.

Let us know how it goes.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Mike Cawood, HND BIT

      13th Sep 2007
"Ireny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently performed a complete system recovery on my laptop and now I
>can't
> find Microsoft Paint to edit my pictures... It is not in the Accessories
> in
> the All Program/start menu and when I did a search, there was a Paint
> application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing happened and it had to
> shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?? Thank you in advance.

Control Panel,Add/remove programs, Add/remove Windows components,
Accessories & Utilities, Accessories & select 'Paint'.
Mike.