Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

Dr. Indera

      18th Mar 2010
hello,

this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently it
failed.
now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
saying it was not installed

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--

i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful

i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.

i have no clue what to do.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

LD55ZRA

      18th Mar 2010
You need to download the full package from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has started
pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.

hth

"Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently
> it
> failed.
> now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
> i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
> saying it was not installed
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
> Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
>

> i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
>
> i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
>
> i have no clue what to do.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> thank you
>
> Tracy
> * * * * * * * * * *

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      18th Mar 2010
Long time, no see!

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.

Dr. Indera wrote:
> hello,
>
> this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently
> it
> failed.
> now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
> i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
> saying it was not installed
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
> Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
>

> i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
>
> i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
>
> i have no clue what to do.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> thank you
>
> Tracy
> * * * * * * * * * *

Tracy

      18th Mar 2010
hello,

i'm downloading the full package now.

should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i understand
what you are saying.
thank you
--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

"LD55ZRA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hns5ug$thf$(E-Mail Removed)...
: You need to download the full package from here:
:
:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe
:
: Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
started
: pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.
:
: hth
:
: "Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
: > hello,
: >
[...]
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: >
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Tracy

      18th Mar 2010
hello,

i ran the file on the link below.

it did not install.
i got the following error messages in the log file

[03/18/10,09:53:58] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: [2] Error:
Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86. MSI
returned error code 1603
[03/18/10,09:54:08] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework
3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed.

i searched for the ".NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 " update file, but could not
find it.
why can't there be ONE page called "net framework files", that has links to
all installation files for all versions?

i am no expert, but this seems messy to me.
i'm going to see if there is a way to blow all of this away and start over
from version 1.

--

Tracy
* * * * * * * * * *

[...]

John John - MVP

      18th Mar 2010
Start by making sure that the required file and registry permissions are
properly set:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
registry permissions

John

Tracy wrote:
> hello,
>
> i ran the file on the link below.
>
> it did not install.
> i got the following error messages in the log file
>
> [03/18/10,09:53:58] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86: [2] Error:
> Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86. MSI
> returned error code 1603
> [03/18/10,09:54:08] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework
> 3.0 SP2 x86 is not installed.
>
> i searched for the ".NET Framework 3.0 SP2 x86 " update file, but could not
> find it.
> why can't there be ONE page called "net framework files", that has links to
> all installation files for all versions?
>
> i am no expert, but this seems messy to me.
> i'm going to see if there is a way to blow all of this away and start over
> from version 1.

Donald Anadell

      18th Mar 2010

"Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer. apparently
> it
> failed.
> now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not work.
> i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
> saying it was not installed
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family
> Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
>

> i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
>
> i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
>
> i have no clue what to do.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> thank you

If all else fails, you might try uninstalling .NET Framework and then
re-installing .NET Framework.

Uninstalling .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
http://blogs.msdn.com/dougste/archiv...k-3-5-sp1.aspx

Installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on a Windows XP machine is currently a
three step process. I just installed it on two Windows XP Home Edition
machines recently that have never had .NET Framework installed on them, and
the following is the procedure I used to get it installed and working on
those two machines:

Step 1
Download the Full Package Installer and save it to your Desktop.

..NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Full Package)
Filename: dotnetfx35.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

Step 2
After running the Full Package Installer for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from
your Desktop, visit the following site and download and install the three
patches offer there:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows XP

NOTE: These Patches must be installed in the following order:
Install the update for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -
NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe
Install the update for the .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -
NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe
Install the update for the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 -
NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

Step 3
After completing steps 1 and 2, visit Microsoft Updates and install the the
following three patches:

First............KB961118
Second........KB963707
Third...........KB974417

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Tracy
> * * * * * * * * * *

Unknown

      18th Mar 2010

You'll have to learn to ignore ANONYMOUS alias LD55ZRA. Microsoft does NOT
pedall useless updates. Common sense. Why would they destroy their own
business. LD55ZRA is a local troll and a prankster college student in
London.
"Tracy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> i'm downloading the full package now.
>
> should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
> i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i
> understand
> what you are saying.
> thank you
> --
>

> Tracy
> * * * * * * * * * *
>
> "LD55ZRA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hns5ug$thf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : You need to download the full package from here:
> :
> :
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe
> :
> : Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
> started
> : pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure
> it.
> :
> : hth
> :
> : "Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > hello,
> : >
> : > this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer.
> apparently
> : > it
> : > failed.
> : > now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not
> work.
> : > i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message
> below
> : > saying it was not installed
> : >
> : > Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5
> Family
> : > Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
> : >
> : > i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
> : >
> : > i have no clue what to do.
> : >
> : > any help would be greatly appreciated.
> : > thank you
> : >
> : > Tracy
> : > * * * * * * * * * *
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      18th Mar 2010
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...39e1b2536154db

Tracy wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm downloading the full package now.
>
> should automatic updates be set to "manual" or "disabled"?
> i currently have it set to disabled, but want to make sure that i
> understand
> what you are saying.
> thank you
>
> "LD55ZRA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hns5ug$thf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You need to download the full package from here:
>>

> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe
>>
>> Please also switch off your Automatic Updates because Microsoft has
>> started
>> pedalling useless updates that will only wreck your system not secure it.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> "Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> this update tried to install when i logged off of my computer.
>>> apparently
>>> it
>>> failed.
>>> now, some other software that relies on the .net framework will not
>>> work.
>>> i tried to reinstall it from windows update, but i get the message below
>>> saying it was not installed
>>>
>>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5
>>> Family
>>> Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86--
>>>

>>> i searched for kb951847 which i did not find anything that was helpful
>>>
>>> i have windows xp pro sp3 installed.
>>>
>>> i have no clue what to do.
>>>
>>> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> thank you
>>>
>>> Tracy
>>> * * * * * * * * * *

Tracy

      18th Mar 2010
hey there!

ye, it has been a while.
i decided to start from scratch, because i was just too confused.
i removed it with the tool you recommended and got all the way up to 3.5
sp1, without any installation problems, so i stopped while i am ahead
(smile).
now, i have to figure out why i can't install the other software.

i had hoped that because i had an image with all of this working, that i
could restore parts of the image, but that didn't work either.

is there any software that lets you do partial restores or restores on a
software by software basis?

thank you
--

Tracy

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Long time, no see!
:
[...]
: Dr. Indera wrote: