Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object

=?Utf-8?B?Um9sYW5k?=

      15th Nov 2005
Using Access 2000 to link to this dbf file.
C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF
I get the message "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
'OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its
name and the path name correctly.

If I change the name to C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA.DBF It will
link to the dbf file.

Why does Access 2000 not reconize a file name longer than 8 characters.

Douglas J Steele

      15th Nov 2005
If I recall correctly, it's a limitation of the drivers used to read dBase.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Access 2000 to link to this dbf file.
> C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF
> I get the message "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
> 'OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell

its
> name and the path name correctly.
>
> If I change the name to C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA.DBF It will
> link to the dbf file.
>
> Why does Access 2000 not reconize a file name longer than 8 characters.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9sYW5k?=

      15th Nov 2005
But, if I move the access database and this file to another pc, then it will
link using a file name longer than 8 characters. Both systems are setup with
the same operating system 2000pro, access 2000 etc. There must be something
else going on.

"Douglas J Steele" wrote:

> If I recall correctly, it's a limitation of the drivers used to read dBase.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Using Access 2000 to link to this dbf file.
> > C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF
> > I get the message "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
> > 'OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell

> its
> > name and the path name correctly.
> >
> > If I change the name to C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA.DBF It will
> > link to the dbf file.
> >
> > Why does Access 2000 not reconize a file name longer than 8 characters.

Douglas J. Steele

      15th Nov 2005
Same service packs on both?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But, if I move the access database and this file to another pc, then it
> will
> link using a file name longer than 8 characters. Both systems are setup
> with
> the same operating system 2000pro, access 2000 etc. There must be
> something
> else going on.
>
> "Douglas J Steele" wrote:
>
>> If I recall correctly, it's a limitation of the drivers used to read
>> dBase.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>

>> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Using Access 2000 to link to this dbf file.
>> > C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF
>> > I get the message "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the
>> > object
>> > 'OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF'. Make sure the object exists and that you
>> > spell

>> its
>> > name and the path name correctly.
>> >
>> > If I change the name to C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA.DBF It
>> > will
>> > link to the dbf file.
>> >
>> > Why does Access 2000 not reconize a file name longer than 8 characters.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9sYW5k?=

      15th Nov 2005
Yes, as far as I can tell...How about the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
Would install this engine solve the problem.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Same service packs on both?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > But, if I move the access database and this file to another pc, then it
> > will
> > link using a file name longer than 8 characters. Both systems are setup
> > with
> > the same operating system 2000pro, access 2000 etc. There must be
> > something
> > else going on.
> >
> > "Douglas J Steele" wrote:
> >
> >> If I recall correctly, it's a limitation of the drivers used to read
> >> dBase.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> >> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> >> (no e-mails, please!)
> >>

> >> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> its

Van T. Dinh

      16th Nov 2005
You may have different versions of the ODBC drivers.

Did you try to get an up-to-date ODBC driver as advised by Cindy Winegarden
in your earlier thread?

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, as far as I can tell...How about the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
> Would install this engine solve the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9sYW5k?=

      16th Nov 2005
No, her responce was related to accessing a dbf file from one pc to another.

The access database and dbf file are on the same pc. ODBC is not what I
will be using. I said that one of the pc's does work using a dbf file
longer than 8 characters; the other one will only work using 8 characters.

I have two w2000 pro systems with access 2000 install sp3.

On one of them I can link to a dbf file like this one
"OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF".

On the other one it tells me it cannot not find the file. If I change the
name to "OC_DATA_.DBF , it will find and link to it.

Is there something I need to configure on the second machine.

I would rather use the long names if possible.

Are you using an ODBC data source on the machine that works and trying to
link "directly" on the second machine? Using ODBC will allow you to access
DBFs with long file names.

The latest FoxPro and Visual FoxPro ODBC driver is downloadable from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates.

"Van T. Dinh" wrote:

> You may have different versions of the ODBC drivers.
>
> Did you try to get an up-to-date ODBC driver as advised by Cindy Winegarden
> in your earlier thread?
>
> --
> HTH
> Van T. Dinh
> MVP (Access)
>

> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, as far as I can tell...How about the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
> > Would install this engine solve the problem.

Douglas J Steele

      16th Nov 2005
"OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF" will also have a short name of "OC_DAT~1.DBF" or
something like that. What happens if you use the short name instead?
(http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0020.htm at "The Access Web" will let you
convert between long name and short name)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, her responce was related to accessing a dbf file from one pc to

another.

> The access database and dbf file are on the same pc. ODBC is not what I
> will be using. I said that one of the pc's does work using a dbf file
> longer than 8 characters; the other one will only work using 8 characters.
>
> I have two w2000 pro systems with access 2000 install sp3.
>
> On one of them I can link to a dbf file like this one
> "OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF".
>
> On the other one it tells me it cannot not find the file. If I change the
> name to "OC_DATA_.DBF , it will find and link to it.
>
> Is there something I need to configure on the second machine.
>
> I would rather use the long names if possible.
>

> Are you using an ODBC data source on the machine that works and trying to
> link "directly" on the second machine? Using ODBC will allow you to access
> DBFs with long file names.
>
> The latest FoxPro and Visual FoxPro ODBC driver is downloadable from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates.
>

> "Van T. Dinh" wrote:
>
> > You may have different versions of the ODBC drivers.
> >
> > Did you try to get an up-to-date ODBC driver as advised by Cindy

Winegarden
> > in your earlier thread?
> >
> > --
> > HTH
> > Van T. Dinh
> > MVP (Access)
> >

> > "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Yes, as far as I can tell...How about the Borland Database Engine

(BDE).
> > > Would install this engine solve the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9sYW5k?=

      16th Nov 2005
If I change the name to a short name it works. But it does not explane why
using a long name works on one pc and not on a different pc. Read post
below.

"Douglas J Steele" wrote:

> "OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF" will also have a short name of "OC_DAT~1.DBF" or
> something like that. What happens if you use the short name instead?
> (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0020.htm at "The Access Web" will let you
> convert between long name and short name)
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No, her responce was related to accessing a dbf file from one pc to

> another.
> >
> > The access database and dbf file are on the same pc. ODBC is not what I
> > will be using. I said that one of the pc's does work using a dbf file
> > longer than 8 characters; the other one will only work using 8 characters.
> >
> > I have two w2000 pro systems with access 2000 install sp3.
> >
> > On one of them I can link to a dbf file like this one
> > "OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF".
> >
> > On the other one it tells me it cannot not find the file. If I change the
> > name to "OC_DATA_.DBF , it will find and link to it.
> >
> > Is there something I need to configure on the second machine.
> >
> > I would rather use the long names if possible.
> >

> > Are you using an ODBC data source on the machine that works and trying to
> > link "directly" on the second machine? Using ODBC will allow you to access
> > DBFs with long file names.
> >
> > The latest FoxPro and Visual FoxPro ODBC driver is downloadable from
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates.
> >

> > "Van T. Dinh" wrote:
> >
> > > You may have different versions of the ODBC drivers.
> > >
> > > Did you try to get an up-to-date ODBC driver as advised by Cindy

> Winegarden
> > > in your earlier thread?
> > >
> > > --
> > > HTH
> > > Van T. Dinh
> > > MVP (Access)
> > >

> > > "Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> (BDE).

Van T. Dinh

      16th Nov 2005
Whether the DBF is on the same machine with Access or not, I am sure that
Access still needs the appropriate ODBC driver to access the data in the
DBF, whether FoxPro or BDE.

Check the ODBC drivers on the 2 PCs and I am sure you will find them
different.

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh