microsoft Excel 2003 always hang up

Andy Chan

      29th Jun 2004
Anyone face same problem?
I'm using WinXP Prof (OEM) and OfficeXP 2003 (OEM)

Excel will hang up after a few minutes of work.

Norman Harker

      29th Jun 2004
Hi Andy!

The most likely cause is that a vital area of the system used by Excel
is full of junk and needs clearing out.

Close down and re-open the computer just to make sure that all
installations are complete.

Find and Select C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\local settings\temp

They are left behind by installing programs but Excel needs the space.

Try again with Excel.

Bloated xlb File (A possibility but not previously noted with Office
XP)

Next is that with pre 2002 versions of Excel there is a tendency for
the toolbar file to bloat in size and eventually this can cause
crashes on opening. It is usually preceded by Excel being noticeably
slower than before in opening and in performance generally. Generally
this means deleting the bloated file.

Next:

Using Start > Search > For Files and folders

Locate the Excel.xlb or Excel10.xlb file. If it is above around 30kb
rename
it Excelxlb.old and move it somewhere. If it's very large you probably
won't
be able to do much with it anyway. This is the toolbar file and Excel
will
create a new one for you.

Now try again.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

Harlan Grove

      29th Jun 2004
"Norman Harker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>The most likely cause is that a vital area of the system used by Excel
>is full of junk and needs clearing out.
>
>Close down and re-open the computer just to make sure that all
>installations are complete.
>
>Find and Select C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\local settings\temp
>
>They are left behind by installing programs but Excel needs the space.

Always a bad idea to install software under a user account or run Excel
under an Administrator account. And always an especially bad idea to have
any large & complex programs like Excel running when installing anything
else.

That, and it's amusing in a perverse way to believe that Excel needs an
empty %TEMP% directory to work properly.

Andy Chan

      1st Jul 2004
Hi Norman,

I've cleaned up any temp file, and in fact, it's a freshly installed
PC.
I tried reinstalling the office 2003, and I will reinstall the PC
(format HDD and blank new installation). I should try to remove
Excel.xlb or Excel10.xlb first, thanks for your help.