PC Review

Microsoft Essentials Security update not working

12th Jul 2012
I use Mozilla Firefox... the 1st answer in the MS Help says that I would have to make Explorer my default browser. Why? Is there a way around it? Plus if I did this I would lose all of my bookmarks, temp. files... and other stuff that I would not want to lose.
Any alternatives?
I'm using XP Prof. 32 bit
Please help!
Thanks in advance!
Char. in No. CA

Silly Fool

12th Jul 2012
Make IE your default browser for the update, you won't loose any bookmarks etc. I switch between 3 different browsers and never loose anything.

@120Hz

12th Jul 2012
Sod the MS help pages, they useless 99.9% of the time anyway....

As ED says, you wont lose anything if you change your default browser.

Why wont MSE update? Have you tried updating it via Windows Update?

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Captain Crunchie, Retired

12th Jul 2012
You should not 'need' IE to update MSE, it should use its own auto-update, if not, you should be able to do it manually.

Yes, XP Update does require IE to do manual updates. Automatic updates, if enabled, should continue unaffected.

We don't have this "problem" with Win 7 as we can disable IE.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

« Passwords | MacBug »
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: