Microsoft Client for Netware

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXMgbWVuemllcw==?=

      6th Jul 2007
Help!! I am running a Vista Business PC that connects to 2 Servers (NT 4.0
and Novell Netware 4). My NT 4.0 connection is fine, but I can not find a
Microsoft Client to connect to Netware. I am aware that Novell do not
provide (as yet) a Novell Client for Vista and that there is a beta available
but I do not wish to try an untested client on my PC, so my question is:

Does Microsoft provide its own Client for Netware? If so where can I find
this?

Thanks

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

      6th Jul 2007
Hi Chris. Unfortunately, IPX/SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange/Sequenced
Packet Exchange) is not supported in Windows Vista.

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance

"chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help!! I am running a Vista Business PC that connects to 2 Servers (NT
> 4.0
> and Novell Netware 4). My NT 4.0 connection is fine, but I can not find a
> Microsoft Client to connect to Netware. I am aware that Novell do not
> provide (as yet) a Novell Client for Vista and that there is a beta
> available
> but I do not wish to try an untested client on my PC, so my question is:
>
> Does Microsoft provide its own Client for Netware? If so where can I find
> this?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXMgbWVuemllcw==?=

      6th Jul 2007
( Thats not the answer I was hoping to hear.

Oh well. Thank you Gloria :-) It looks like I may be forced to downgrade
to XP Pro then.

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Chris. Unfortunately, IPX/SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange/Sequenced
> Packet Exchange) is not supported in Windows Vista.
>

> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> "chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Help!! I am running a Vista Business PC that connects to 2 Servers (NT
> > 4.0
> > and Novell Netware 4). My NT 4.0 connection is fine, but I can not find a
> > Microsoft Client to connect to Netware. I am aware that Novell do not
> > provide (as yet) a Novell Client for Vista and that there is a beta
> > available
> > but I do not wish to try an untested client on my PC, so my question is:
> >
> > Does Microsoft provide its own Client for Netware? If so where can I find
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

      7th Jul 2007
Hey Chris, I'm looking into this further. I may have given you inaccurate
info. Stand by while I investigate some more. (Crossing my fingers that
there's a way to do this!)

Cheers,

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance
Microsoft Corporation

"chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> ( Thats not the answer I was hoping to hear.
>
> Oh well. Thank you Gloria :-) It looks like I may be forced to downgrade
> to XP Pro then.
>

> "Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris. Unfortunately, IPX/SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange/Sequenced
>> Packet Exchange) is not supported in Windows Vista.
>>

>> --
>> Gloria Boyer
>> Windows User Assistance
>> Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> "chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Help!! I am running a Vista Business PC that connects to 2 Servers (NT
>> > 4.0
>> > and Novell Netware 4). My NT 4.0 connection is fine, but I can not
>> > find a
>> > Microsoft Client to connect to Netware. I am aware that Novell do not
>> > provide (as yet) a Novell Client for Vista and that there is a beta
>> > available
>> > but I do not wish to try an untested client on my PC, so my question
>> > is:
>> >
>> > Does Microsoft provide its own Client for Netware? If so where can I
>> > find
>> > this?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Kerry Brown

      7th Jul 2007
Novell is working on a Vista client for Netware. You can currently download
a public beta version.

http://www.novell.com/beta/auth/beta.jsp?id=2306&type=1

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Chris, I'm looking into this further. I may have given you inaccurate
> info. Stand by while I investigate some more. (Crossing my fingers that
> there's a way to do this!)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>

> "chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ( Thats not the answer I was hoping to hear.
>>
>> Oh well. Thank you Gloria :-) It looks like I may be forced to
>> downgrade
>> to XP Pro then.
>>

>> "Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris. Unfortunately, IPX/SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange/Sequenced
>>> Packet Exchange) is not supported in Windows Vista.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Gloria Boyer
>>> Windows User Assistance
>>> Microsoft Corporation
>>>
>>> "chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Kerry Brown

      7th Jul 2007
OK - I totally missed that the OP already knew about the beta.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Novell is working on a Vista client for Netware. You can currently
> download a public beta version.
>
> http://www.novell.com/beta/auth/beta.jsp?id=2306&type=1
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey Chris, I'm looking into this further. I may have given you inaccurate
>> info. Stand by while I investigate some more. (Crossing my fingers that
>> there's a way to do this!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Gloria Boyer
>> Windows User Assistance
>> Microsoft Corporation
>>

>> "chris menzies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> ( Thats not the answer I was hoping to hear.
>>>
>>> Oh well. Thank you Gloria :-) It looks like I may be forced to
>>> downgrade
>>> to XP Pro then.

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXMgbWVuemllcw==?=

      9th Jul 2007
Gloria/Kerry

Thank you ever so much for your help on this matter. I look forward to
hearing of any solutions. Additionally, I am also looking for an answer on
the net...............I may be some time!

:-)

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

      9th Jul 2007
Hi again Chris. I verified with the networking team. They told me that we no
longer support IPX/SPX. It was removed from Windows Vista.

So, your best bet (or only bet) is to use the Novell client for Vista.
According to Novell's site, it should be out of beta soon.

Best of luck!
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance team

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXMgbWVuemllcw==?=

      9th Jul 2007
Thank you Gloria )

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi again Chris. I verified with the networking team. They told me that we no
> longer support IPX/SPX. It was removed from Windows Vista.
>
> So, your best bet (or only bet) is to use the Novell client for Vista.
> According to Novell's site, it should be out of beta soon.
>
> Best of luck!
> Gloria
>

> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gQ2VydmU=?=

      17th Jul 2007
I'm too looking for a soulition to connect via IPX/SPX using Vista. In my
case I have some older Netware 4.10 servers that I really don't want to add
TCP/IP support to. After reading your thread, I noticed that you are looking
forward to Novell's Vista client. As I read on the Novell beta site they
won't support IPX/SPX either. Here is a quote from the Novell Beta site:
"Novell has also taken the opportunity to remove certain features from the
client such as IPX support and..."
Found here: http://www.novell.com/beta/auth/beta.jsp?id=2306&type=1

I have still been looking for another soulition and so far have only found
this (unsupported by Microsoft):
http://www.starbase01.com/site/index...=22,87,0,0,1,0

If anyone is still interested in my results using the above let me know.

Thanks,

Brian