"Message Services"

=?Utf-8?B?SEFSb3Nz?=

      31st Dec 2003
My wife and I just got new computers, both with XP (Home). We are both getting IM type messages with the title "message Services". These are spam-type messages and "pop" onto the screen intermittently whenever we are on line. How do we eliminate this occurrence? Any way to block or remove the problem feature?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

      31st Dec 2003
Greetings,

What you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
(which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups, you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start,
then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then
choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any
real third-party applications should be effected by this.

Just as a little reminder, make sure you've protected yourself against the latest security
issues by visiting WindowsUpdate and installing the security patches:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
(This isn't related to the Messenger Service in any way, just a reminder)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

news:(E-Mail Removed)...