Message rule for ALL sent and received messages

Frank

      18th Oct 2004
Per Federal guidelines, we must archive all messages sent and received
for a specific group of people. As a temporary fix, we plan to use
message rules, but I see no good way to get all messages.

For sent, the best I can come up with is to set up three rules to CC:
to a mail box -- one for low, one for medium, and one for high.

For received, I'll just use "Where my name is in the To: or Cc: box."

I know this seems a silly question, but I fear I'm missing something.
Will these catch everything?

thx . . .

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      19th Oct 2004
If you create rules with no conditions at all, they'll apply to all
messages.

What's your mail server? If it's Exchange, it has message journaling built
in.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per Federal guidelines, we must archive all messages sent and received
> for a specific group of people. As a temporary fix, we plan to use
> message rules, but I see no good way to get all messages.
>
> For sent, the best I can come up with is to set up three rules to CC:
> to a mail box -- one for low, one for medium, and one for high.
>
> For received, I'll just use "Where my name is in the To: or Cc: box."
>
> I know this seems a silly question, but I fear I'm missing something.
> Will these catch everything?
>
> thx . . .

Frank

      20th Oct 2004
Thanks Sue. I've run this by the Exchange Administrator, and he
didn't mention journaling. I'll try him again.

So, if I create rules with no conditions, will it apply to all
messages both sent and received? I'll have to find time to do some
testing today. Thx.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> If you create rules with no conditions at all, they'll apply to all
> messages.
>
> What's your mail server? If it's Exchange, it has message journaling built
> in.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
> Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
> Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
> http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Per Federal guidelines, we must archive all messages sent and received
> > for a specific group of people. As a temporary fix, we plan to use
> > message rules, but I see no good way to get all messages.
> >
> > For sent, the best I can come up with is to set up three rules to CC:
> > to a mail box -- one for low, one for medium, and one for high.
> >
> > For received, I'll just use "Where my name is in the To: or Cc: box."
> >
> > I know this seems a silly question, but I fear I'm missing something.
> > Will these catch everything?
> >
> > thx . . .

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      20th Oct 2004
Rules for received and sent messages are always separate, regardless of the
conditions or actions. You can't make one rule do both.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So, if I create rules with no conditions, will it apply to all
> messages both sent and received? I'll have to find time to do some
> testing today. Thx.

Frank

      20th Oct 2004
Sue, thanks for the response, but it appears that message journaling
is an all-or-nothing proposition. We don't want to archive all 1200
users. We just have about a dozen that *have* to be.

thx . . . frank