Memories compatibility for Asus P5GPL-X SE

freejazz

      26th Mar 2012
I' m looking for memory compatibility* of Asus**P5GPL-X
SE*motherboard.
I downloaded a file from Asus site with memories compatibility table
but, for example, into the table I didn' t find my S3+ memory (size
512Mb) already installed on* motherboard.
I don' t know which kind of memory I can install.
Can I install ddr2? How much is it speed?
How many pins?
Can I install anything memory brand?
Can I use a*2Gb module for anything slot (the motherboard has two
slots)?
Thank you for your attention!

Pen

      26th Mar 2012
On 3/26/2012 1:59 PM, freejazz wrote:
> I' m looking for memory compatibility of Asus P5GPL-X
> SE motherboard.
> I downloaded a file from Asus site with memories
> compatibility table but, for example, into the table I didn'
> t find my S3+ memory (size 512Mb) already installed on
> motherboard.
> I don' t know which kind of memory I can install.
> Can I install ddr2? How much is it speed?
> How many pins?
> Can I install anything memory brand?
> Can I use a 2Gb module for anything slot (the motherboard
> has two slots)?
> Thank you for your attention!

Your board uses DDR memory only with a 2 MB maximum [1 GB
per slot]. PC2700 184 pin. See Crucial site;

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...X%20SE&Cat=RAM

Paul

      26th Mar 2012
freejazz wrote:
> I' m looking for memory compatibility of Asus P5GPL-X SE motherboard.
> I downloaded a file from Asus site with memories compatibility table
> but, for example, into the table I didn' t find my S3+ memory (size
> 512Mb) already installed on motherboard.
> I don' t know which kind of memory I can install.
> Can I install ddr2? How much is it speed?
> How many pins?
> Can I install anything memory brand?
> Can I use a 2Gb module for anything slot (the motherboard has two slots)?
> Thank you for your attention!

It takes DDR, like PC3200.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...X%20SE&Cat=RAM

According to Crucial, max mem is 2x1GB for about $62 USD. This stuff is
PC3200 CAS3. Buying PC3200, means it's slightly easier to resell later.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...D62B93A5CA7304

If you don't buy it from Crucial, then it is up to you to buy "low density"
1GB modules. Most "branded" memory is low density. Only if you go to Ebay,
will you be tricked into buying high density RAM. High density RAM uses
(16) chips of x4 width arranged in one rank. A proper module, such as
the Crucial product above, uses two ranks of (8) chips of x8 width. Intel
does not approve of x4 chips in this application, and the datasheet for the
chipset will show you only x8 and x16 width chips in the table. Bottom line,
be *very careful* if shopping on Ebay. Most other vendors will treat you
properly. It's when a stick of memory doesn't have a brand name, that
you have to worry. If the product description says Samsung, it means
the scumbags are trying to trick you, by using the name of the memory
chips on the module. The entire module PCB, wasn't made by Samsung.
But by mentioning Samsung's name, they hope to trick you into buying.
Instead, you seek brand names such as Crucial, Kingston, Geil, Mushkin,
Corsair, and so on.

Now, if I download the Asus user manual...

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...p5gpl-x_se.pdf

it says it has "915PL" chipset. The green colored table in the manual,
also mentions DDR400 2x1GB as the largest configuration.

Now, we try an Intel document, to see if that is true.

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...hts/301467.htm

The chipset supports two kinds of RAM, but the motherboard
slots only support one kind of RAM (PC3200). From PDF page 27
of the Intel document 301467...

"Supports non-ECC memory only.
* Supports 256-Mb, 512-Mb and 1-Gb DDR/DDR2 technologies
* Supports only x8, x16, DDR/DDR2 devices with four banks
and also supports eight bank, 1-Gbit DDR2 devices."

A 1Gigabit chip is 128Mx8 in size, or 128MB. Eight of those
would be 1GB total. If a second rank is place on the other side
of the module, that would be 2GB total. So two slots would
support 4GB. We skip down to PDF page 224 for more info.

"By using 1-Gb technology, the largest memory capacity is 8 GB

32M rows/bank * 4 banks/device * 8 columns * 8 devices/rank *
4 ranks/channel * 2 channel * 1b/(row*column) * 1G/1024M * 1B/8b = 8 GB.

[Note: They quote 8GB based on the motherboard having four slots.
You have two slots or 4GB max.]

Though it is possible to put 8 GB in system by stuffing both
channels this way, the (G)MCH is still limited to 4 GB of
addressable space due to the number of address pins on the FSB."

So in theory, you could use 2x2GB PC3200, but try and find some
of that. You're better off buying 2x1GB PC3200 non-ECC, and
buying it from a reputable source who won't sell you "high density" RAM.

A quick browsing of the Newegg product lists, shows 2x1GB as
the largest kind of PC3200 you can buy. There are no 2x2GB PC3200
for sale. So you'll have to stick with the configuration recommended
by Asus in the first place, or 2x1GB max.

Paul

freejazz

      29th Mar 2012
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:34:56 -0400, Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Your board uses DDR memory only with a 2 MB maximum [1 GB
> per slot]. PC2700 184 pin. See Crucial site;

...2Gb maximum.

Thanks for your reply!
I didn' t know Crucial site even with the Scanner!
Finally are finished the ages when I had to browsing on web to know
the memories compatibility with motherboard!

freejazz

      30th Mar 2012
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:47:40 -0400, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It takes DDR, like PC3200.

I' ll buy it.
Thank you for your valuable informations!
The informations are much complexes and techniques but I' ll take
advantage of you and i' ll ask you more questions again..

> chips on the module. The entire module PCB, wasn't made by Samsung.

What are Pcb modules? The PCB is abbreviation of something?

> Instead, you seek brand names such as Crucial, Kingston, Geil,

Mushkin,
> Corsair, and so on.

Can I buy MW brand name Ddr400 pc3200 cl3 184pin 8bit. I have never
known this brand.
"MW" are the initials of an ebay user name, the seller of these
memories, with over 90000 feedback!!

Or shall be compatibles:
2 x 1GB RAM CORSAIR Pro Series Xtreme Memory Speed DDR 400?

> Now, we try an Intel document, to see if that is true.

Then for a correct memories I need to seek devices not x4 chips
arranged...

> The chipset supports two kinds of RAM, but the motherboard
> slots only support one kind of RAM (PC3200). From PDF page 27

CUT

> "Supports non-ECC memory only.
> * Supports 256-Mb, 512-Mb and 1-Gb DDR/DDR2 technologies
> * Supports only x8, x16, DDR/DDR2 devices with four banks
> and also supports eight bank, 1-Gbit DDR2 devices."

It means that supports x8 chips on motherboards with four slots and
x16 chips with eight slots?

> "By using 1-Gb technology, the largest memory capacity is 8 GB

What is 1G-bit technology

> 32M rows/bank * 4 banks/device * 8 columns * 8 devices/rank *
> 4 ranks/channel * 2 channel * 1b/(row*column) * 1G/1024M *

1B/8b = 8 GB.

It' s very difficult for me to understand it..

> Though it is possible to put 8 GB in system by stuffing both
> channels this way, the (G)MCH is still limited to 4 GB of
> addressable space due to the number of address pins on the FSB."

It' s an advanced technical info.
What is the (G)MCH?

> A quick browsing of the Newegg product lists, shows 2x1GB as
> the largest kind of PC3200 you can buy. There are no 2x2GB PC3200
> for sale. So you'll have to stick with the configuration recommended
> by Asus in the first place, or 2x1GB max.

It' s the much better!!

Thanks a lot!

Paul

      30th Mar 2012
freejazz wrote:

>> A quick browsing of the Newegg product lists, shows 2x1GB as
>> the largest kind of PC3200 you can buy. There are no 2x2GB PC3200
>> for sale. So you'll have to stick with the configuration recommended
>> by Asus in the first place, or 2x1GB max.

> It' s the much better!!
>
> Thanks a lot!

2x1GB PC3200 is what you want. Like CT2KIT12864Z40B here.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...X%20SE&Cat=RAM

Kingston no longer makes DDR (PC3200), but there is a list of what used to work here.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

And this document, shows an example of what they used to sell for a 1GB stick.
Two of these would fill your system.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR400X64C3A_1G.pdf

"sixteen 64M x 8-bit DDR400 SDRAM" memory chips [1GB total]

Paul

freejazz

      31st Mar 2012
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:28:46 -0400, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> And this document, shows an example of what they used to sell for a

1GB stick.
> Two of these would fill your system.

> http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR400X64C3A_1G.pdf

> "sixteen 64M x 8-bit DDR400 SDRAM" memory chips [1GB total]

I just have bought this memory recommend by you, the Kingston size
1Gb for stick.

I just know that I and this ng will be inseparable!
Thanks!