McAfee VirusScan and Outlook 2002

Casey Harris

      8th Oct 2004
Greetings and thanks in advance for any insight.

I have a user who is running Windows XP and Office XP, as
well as McAfee VirusScan 4.51 (there's other osftware on
the machine as well, but I'm assuming at this stage that
only the apps mentioned are relevant).

Occasionally Ourlook will stop responding or hang to the
point that the user will have to end its process. Then,
when she restarts Outlook, she receives the following
message:

"Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-
in 'c:\program files\network
associates\virusscan\scanemal.dll' was opened. Would you
like to disable this add-in? To reenable this add-in,
click About Microsoft Outlook on the help menu, and then
click Disabled Items."

Has anyone ever seen this or does anyone have a clue as to
what them problem ould be?

Thanks again,
Casey

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      9th Oct 2004
I don't use McAfee, or even know if that's the latest version, but have you
checked with NAI to see if this is a known issue? Got SP2 installed for
WinXP?

Casey Harris wrote:
> Greetings and thanks in advance for any insight.
>
> I have a user who is running Windows XP and Office XP, as
> well as McAfee VirusScan 4.51 (there's other osftware on
> the machine as well, but I'm assuming at this stage that
> only the apps mentioned are relevant).
>
> Occasionally Ourlook will stop responding or hang to the
> point that the user will have to end its process. Then,
> when she restarts Outlook, she receives the following
> message:
>
> "Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-
> in 'c:\program files\network
> associates\virusscan\scanemal.dll' was opened. Would you
> like to disable this add-in? To reenable this add-in,
> click About Microsoft Outlook on the help menu, and then
> click Disabled Items."
>
> Has anyone ever seen this or does anyone have a clue as to
> what them problem ould be?
>
> Thanks again,
> Casey

BillR [MVP]

      12th Oct 2004
I'd be tempted to disable the email scanning integration. It can lead to a
few issues.

news:2c2001c4ad50$25db3b50$(E-Mail Removed)...