McAfee Virus&Firewall

dw

      1st Aug 2003
For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
a firewall and a virus utility.
I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
period has run-out.

I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?

Many thanks DW

SleeperMan

      1st Aug 2003
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which
> has a firewall and a virus utility.
> I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to
> explain on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the
> applications I use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that
> my 'free update' period has run-out.
>
> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
>
> Many thanks DW

I used to use agnitum firewall free version, never had any problems although
payed version has more functions. I don't exactly know why i switched to
Norton , i guess just to be curious..Works perfect so far.
I guess freeware virus program are not that good as payed ones. Myself i
like Norton antvirus. i used McAfee years ago and i hated to download WHOLE
virus defs every time. File to be d/lded got bigger and bigger and bigger...
Norton downloads only updates, a few hundred kbytes long and it does it by
itself.

Sweet Andy Licious

      1st Aug 2003

"dw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bge6j2$j1i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
> a firewall and a virus utility.
> I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
> on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
> use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
> period has run-out.
>
> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
>
> Many thanks DW

I use pay eTrust AV from Computer Associates; not free but I think the
renewal is $10 US; I use the freeware Kerio 2.15 currently; I am not very
clued into firewalls, so I 'borrowed' Kerio setups from yosponge; I think I
use #2 (he has 4 versions). Maybe my etrust is not the best on the block but
it's better than nothing. I just renewed in March for another year, yeah a
whole ten bucks.

As far as your other question, they work very well together; neither
conflicts with the other. Personally, I am thinking of going to fprot (I
think that's how you spell it) next year or maybe sooner before I renew with
etrust.

eTrust has caught some viruses/virii but I think by virtue of going
broadband and using XP Home, I should have a more robust/well endowed AV
program.

Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.
--
Andy

email: sweetandylicious at eml dot cc

DC

      1st Aug 2003
dw wrote:

> For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
> a firewall and a virus utility.
> I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
> on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
> use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
> period has run-out.
>
> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
>
> Many thanks DW

My combo:

Grisoft AVG 6.0
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Outpost Free
http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

--
DC

Lately, I've been reading about penile enlargement and I'm thinking to
myself: "Do we really need larger prisons?"

John Corliss

      2nd Aug 2003
Sweet Andy Licious wrote:
> Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.

Not flamed, just reminded that this group is for the discussion of
freeware only, not "cheap" software. Please try to stay on topic.

--
Regards from John Corliss
alt.comp.freeware F.A.Q.:

Andy Mabbett

      2nd Aug 2003
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Corliss
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Please try to stay on topic.

Hypocrite:

--
Andy Mabbett
USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:

John Fitzsimons

      3rd Aug 2003
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:43:30 -0700, "Sweet Andy Licious"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

< snip >

>Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.

There is an easy way to avoid such flames. Don't mention things that
aren't freeware in a freeware newsgroup.

One would have thought you could have worked that out yourself.

dw

      3rd Aug 2003
John Corliss wrote:
> dw wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
>> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
>>
>> Many thanks DW

> You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
> recommend the following two programs:
>
> for an antivirus program, AVG:
>
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
>
> and for a firewall, Kerio:
>
> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
>
> I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.

Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
David

dw

      3rd Aug 2003
dw wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> dw wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
>>> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
>>>
>>> Many thanks DW

>> You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
>> recommend the following two programs:
>>
>> for an antivirus program, AVG:
>>
>> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
>>
>> and for a firewall, Kerio:
>>
>> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
>>
>> I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.
>>

> Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
> David

I uninstalled my (purchased) copy of McAfee Firewall and Virus Scanner.

It seemed to decide to delete MSVCRT40.DLL with it ... so I had to find
and download/install that as well <sigh>
.... but the good news is that Kerio and AVG are working away quite
merrily without any problems. I will see how it goes when my kids start
playing some of their Internet Multiplayer stuff ....

On a related topic, are there any test sites for internet firewalls ?
I remember Symantec doing one, but that doesn't seem to work now.

All the Best, Dave W

SleeperMan

      3rd Aug 2003
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> dw wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
>>> recommend the following two programs:
>>>
>>> for an antivirus program, AVG:
>>>
>>> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
>>>
>>> and for a firewall, Kerio:
>>>
>>> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
>>>
>>> I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.
>>>

>> Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
>> David
>>

> I uninstalled my (purchased) copy of McAfee Firewall and Virus
> Scanner.
>
> It seemed to decide to delete MSVCRT40.DLL with it ... so I had to
> find and download/install that as well <sigh>
> ... but the good news is that Kerio and AVG are working away quite
> merrily without any problems. I will see how it goes when my kids
> start playing some of their Internet Multiplayer stuff ....
>
> On a related topic, are there any test sites for internet firewalls ?
> I remember Symantec doing one, but that doesn't seem to work now.
>
> All the Best, Dave W

go to http://security.symantec.com and click on 'test your computer's
exposure' link