McAfee scans my entire system every day with scheduled scans disabled

Ike

      14th Dec 2009
I've used McAfee since probably version 1.0 and it has never
frustrated me more than now. I have the current version on XP SP3 and
it automatically does an entire system scan every day even though I
have automatic scheduled scanning disabled. This is a real PITA
because I have two huge external hard drives hooked up to this PC
which means it takes several hours to complete and is dog slow while
scanning. I Googled the problem and it seems a few other people have
the same issue. but no solution. The entire system scan comes up virus
free. Any ideas how to fix it? I have not tried a complete uninstall
and reinstall, yet.

Ike

      15th Dec 2009
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:39:30 -0500, Wolf K <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ike wrote:
>> I've used McAfee since probably version 1.0 and it has never
>> frustrated me more than now. I have the current version on XP SP3 and
>> it automatically does an entire system scan every day even though I
>> have automatic scheduled scanning disabled. This is a real PITA
>> because I have two huge external hard drives hooked up to this PC
>> which means it takes several hours to complete and is dog slow while
>> scanning. I Googled the problem and it seems a few other people have
>> the same issue. but no solution. The entire system scan comes up virus
>> free. Any ideas how to fix it? I have not tried a complete uninstall
>> and reinstall, yet.

>Uninstall it completely. Use Revo (free) or Your Uninstaller (free
>version limited to four uninstalls per program start). This will
>eliminate all traces of the program, so that a fresh install should work
>as configured.
>
>Then, if you must, reinstall McAfee.
>
>But my recommendation is to dump it. There are many better alternatives.
>Even Norton 2009 and 2010 have received better reviews.
>
>FWIW, I use Vipre as background protector (mostly because a former
>student of mine is a virus hunter for Sunbelt Systems). In addition, I
>use a number of on-demand scanners: Avira, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>Malwarebytes Antimalware, and occasionally Superantispyware and others.
>My system occasionally picks up a key-logger from a website (surprising
>how many apparently innocent sites are infected), but that's about all.
>
>HTH
>wolf k.

Thanks for the info, Wolf. I think I will do the uninstall first to
see if that fixes the problem. I am reluctant to try a different
software solution at this juncture. This PC is really the wife's
machine and I don't have the inclination to try to teach her something
new, if you catch my drift.

Ike

David H. Lipman

      15th Dec 2009
From: "Ike" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Thanks for the info, Wolf. I think I will do the uninstall first to
| see if that fixes the problem. I am reluctant to try a different
| software solution at this juncture. This PC is really the wife's
| machine and I don't have the inclination to try to teach her something
| new, if you catch my drift.

| Ike

McAfee has long past lost its lustre.

I strongly suggesting pulling it and going with Avira AntiVir. It is *much* better and
free for the first year.

--
Dave