Maximum number of zones supported?

Brandon.S.Lay@gmail.com

      14th Nov 2006
I m creating a capacity sheet for our dns servers and wondered if
anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
number of zones supported.

Herb Martin

      14th Nov 2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I m creating a capacity sheet for our dns servers and wondered if
> anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
> number of zones supported.

How big is your domain or largest sites?

It is doubtful that you will be able to overrun
any of this unless you are a) a GIANT company
or b) an ISP with many thousands of (DNS zone)
customers.

Only as an ISP (or DNS registrar) are you likely
to have enough zones to even CONSIDER such
limits because in any realistic enterprise (non-ISP)
situation the zones will be in hierarchies and
so each DNS server will not be required to hold or
even know directly about every domain/zone -- only
the "tops of trees" and immediate children will be
required on each DNS server. (This is why the
Internet can contain many millions of zones without
the 13 or so root servers becoming overloaded.)

Even for large companies the physical distribution
of the computers on different LANs (separated by
WANs) generally dictates adding DNS servers before
the actual number of clients or requests become a problem.

Any such "stats" will be dependent on the actual
pattern of usage, and I find that collecting such info
is usually a waste of time.

And most of the time you are going to want to use
DNS AD Integration which changes any such
requirements as well.

Generally, you measure the performance and add
more DNS servers as performance drops below
prescibed/promised thresholds (e.g., service level
contracts.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      13th Dec 2006
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> stated, which I commented
on below:
> I m creating a capacity sheet for our dns servers and wondered if
> anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
> number of zones supported.

10's of thousands. I'm sure there are ISPs out there using Windwos DNS that
can attest this. Of course the server would need to be beefed up to support
such a scenario with lot's of RAM, fast fault tolerant harddrives, gigabit
connections, etc, and of course we need to also consider how many requests
per second, and realistically, if the internet connection will handle the
requests. We must also take into account EDNS0 support (whether routers
support it). If not supported, it will decrease performance. You can write a
script to create 10,000 zones, then create a script (or use some of the
tools below) to nail the server with concurrent requests while watching
Performance Monitor configured to log DNS data only.

Curious, how many zones are you considering to support?

Some tools and more info below...

Load Testing Monitors - Antara.net Performance Counters
http://www.mercury.com/us/products/p...rs/antara.html

Avalanche SmartBits (numerous tests and load simulators)
http://www.spirentcom.com/documents/664.pdf

Agilent NetworkTester (not cheap) - will test numerous types of apps,
including DNS
http://advanced.comms.agilent.com/networktester/

Pv6-draft-ietf-dnsext-message-size-04.txt [Explains UDP equals increased
performance]
http://www.greatplains.net/activitie...ge-size-04.txt

Nnameservers: BIND and NSD Perf Testing
https://www.centr.org/docs/2006/10/nameserver-perf.pdf

List of other types of testing tools:
http://www.softwareqatest.com/qatweb1.html

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...