Mary Jo on Morro

Bill Sanderson

      19th Jun 2009
This has some useful information, and a link to Ed Bott who probably has
more. It notes that this is the same engine as Forefront and OneCare--the
engine that did extremely well in the recent AV Comparatives testing--one of
only three products to get advanced +, and with the lowest false positive
percentage of those.

http://blogs.technet.com/technet_fla...irus-test.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/technet_fla...irus-test.aspx

Bill Sanderson

      19th Jun 2009
One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender. According
to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of Defender and a
lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this may be the beginning
of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

robinb

      19th Jun 2009
does it uninstall it in vista too?
robin

"Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this may
> be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

robinb

      19th Jun 2009
funny that micorosoft would do this since wd is a defense against spyware
and the new "morro" is strictly an antivirus program
robin

"Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this may
> be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

robinb

      19th Jun 2009
btw the article you are talking about is not on the link you posted
can you post the link please?
robin

"Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this may
> be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

Bill Sanderson

      19th Jun 2009
Certainly not. I haven't seen it, so I don't know what it does on Vista,
but I suspect it will disable it via Policy settings, or something similar,
and enable again on uninstall. This is a little tricky, because you want to
be sure any such mechanism is reversed on uninstall, and everyone, Microsoft
included, knows that standard uninstall procedures don't always go as
planned.

Will see when I get a chance to look at it--I'm hoping next Tuesday. They
are being cagey about the time--my guess is that it will be timed for the
start of the day in Brazil--but that's just a guess. There's a theory that
initial distribution will be focused on Brazil and China for a variety of
reasons, and that sounds like a great idea to me.

"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> does it uninstall it in vista too?
> robin
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
>> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
>> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this
>> may be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

Bill Sanderson

      19th Jun 2009
Ed Bott's review is the best information I've seen--and I believe that Morro
will completely supplant Windows Defender. In fact, for machines and OS
versions where the software explorers are not present, I believe they may
come back--we'll see. At any rate, I am expecting Windows Security
Essentials to do everything Windows Defender does and provide highly
competent antivirus protection, including attempting to detect rootkits, as
well.

"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> funny that micorosoft would do this since wd is a defense against spyware
> and the new "morro" is strictly an antivirus program
> robin
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
>> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
>> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this
>> may be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

Bill Sanderson

      19th Jun 2009
Sorry, I goofed--there were supposed to be two different urls:
So--here are two more: the first is Mary Jo Foley, the second Ed Bott. I
recommend Ed's article for depth.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3120

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1067

"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ezAYB$(E-Mail Removed)...
> btw the article you are talking about is not on the link you posted
> can you post the link please?
> robin
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
>> According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
>> Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this
>> may be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

Randy Knobloch

      19th Jun 2009
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/microsoft_security_launch/>

<quote>
MS names ship date for free security suite

Microsoft is launching its free security suite next week - the 23rd of June to be precise.

It was going by the funky codename Morro, but is launching under the duller name of Microsoft Security Essentials. It replaces Windows OneCare - and yes we do know what that sounds like.

Microsoft Security Essentials will be available for users in Brazil, Israel and the US initially and for PCs using Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

China will get onboard later this summer.

The service aims to protect machines against viruses and other malware. The free download takes only 140MB, but you will have to sign up to the hated Windows Genuine Advantage.
</quote>
Associated Press Announcement in above URL.

--
Randy
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

Ǝиçεl