Mapping network drive - not enough server storage

Maincat

      23rd Mar 2005
Hi,
I have a two computer network, each WinXPSP2, each has 1 gig ram. The
computers are called Alpha and Delta.
I can map all of Delta's drives onto Alpha.
I can map Alpha's CD and DVD drives onto Delta.
When I try to map Alpha's C drive onto Delta, I now get an error message on
Delta which reads:

Not enough server storage is available to process the command.

Can anyone help me please?
Thanks,
Steve

Ron Lowe

      23rd Mar 2005
"Maincat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a two computer network, each WinXPSP2, each has 1 gig ram. The
> computers are called Alpha and Delta.
> I can map all of Delta's drives onto Alpha.
> I can map Alpha's CD and DVD drives onto Delta.
> When I try to map Alpha's C drive onto Delta, I now get an error message
> on Delta which reads:
>
> Not enough server storage is available to process the command.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
> Thanks,
> Steve

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command."
indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.

The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to,
not the machine where you see the error message.

On the computer you are attempting to connect to,
Check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.

Usual fix :
You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize

On the computer you are attempting to connect to,
Set the IRPStackSize back to the default (15 ).
Perform the following steps:

1. Start the registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
3. Double-click IRPStackSize
(or if this registry setting doesn't exist,create it of
type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
5. Reboot the computer.

Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it.

There's a KB article about this, too.
You may have missed it, because it's applicability has not been updated
include XP:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)

Best Regards,
Ron Lowe
MS-MVP Windows Networking

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      23rd Mar 2005
In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>, "Maincat"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a two computer network, each WinXPSP2, each has 1 gig ram. The
>computers are called Alpha and Delta.
>I can map all of Delta's drives onto Alpha.
>I can map Alpha's CD and DVD drives onto Delta.
>When I try to map Alpha's C drive onto Delta, I now get an error message on
>Delta which reads:
>
>Not enough server storage is available to process the command.
>
>Can anyone help me please?
>Thanks,
>Steve

The problem is probably that an antivirus program has changed an
obscure TCP/IP setting. Please see this Microsoft Knowledge Base
article for a likely solution, specifying a value of 15 for
IRPStackSize on Alpha:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Maincat

      23rd Mar 2005
Fantastic guys, that fixed it.
There is NO WAY I would have found that.
I really owe you one!
Steve

"Maincat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a two computer network, each WinXPSP2, each has 1 gig ram. The
> computers are called Alpha and Delta.
> I can map all of Delta's drives onto Alpha.
> I can map Alpha's CD and DVD drives onto Delta.
> When I try to map Alpha's C drive onto Delta, I now get an error message
> on Delta which reads:
>
> Not enough server storage is available to process the command.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
> Thanks,
> Steve

New Member

      24th May 2011
Who would have thought that I would find the answer to my problem in a 6 yr old post!
Thanks much!!

New Member

      7th Nov 2011
I have XP SP3
When I attempted the above solution, it did not help.
Might have been one of these two problems -
- I did not reboot
- 15 is not enough
I set it to Decimal 20, and rebooted, and I am happily 'mapped' now.

Hope this additional information helps others.
Rob

Last edited by RobCr; 7th Nov 2011 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: I investigated further

New Member

      16th Feb 2012
This old post (6 years ago) also helped me a lot.
I also had to put 20 (in decimal) to work - did not work with 15.

Ricardo Ribeiro
Infranet Cartuchos