Mapped Network Drives Problem

Jim QCID

      20th Apr 2008
I have three machines all running XPSP2. The main machine is called Figaro
the other two are quality and jfk. I have mapped some of the drives on Figaro
to the other two machines and for some reason those mapped drives are no
longer accessible. In Explorer they show up as disconnected network drives
and when I click on one I get the error message, "An error occured while
reconnecting P: to \\FIGARO\C$ Microsoft Windows Network : The network name
cannot be found. This connection has not been restored. I disconnected the
mapped C Drive from Figaro and I cannot remap it. I get the error message
"The network path \\figaro\c$ cannot be found." It doesn't matter if the
firewalls (Kaspersky Internet Suite) are on or off.
What is truly weird is that I can connect to Figaro from quality using
remote desktop. I can ping Figaro from quality and vice versa. If I open "My
Network Places" on quality and go to entire Network > Microsoft Windows
Network > Workgroup (The name of my workgroup) > it lists all three machines.
When I click on Figaro I can see all the printer, Shared Docs, printer and
faxes and Scheduled tasks folders.

Doing all of the above on the third box, jfk, yields the same results.

From figaro Win Explorer I have access to the drives I mapped from jfk and
all the drives on Quality show up (when running Remote Desktop from quality
to Figaro) as Disk From Remote Desktop Connection and I can access them.

ipconfig /all from figaro shows:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : figaro
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast
Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-17-E5-C0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
64.58.4.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 20 April, 2008 12:14:39 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 April, 2008 12:14:39 PM

TCP/IP settings:
DHCP is enabled
No default gateway
Automatic metrics
No DNS servers specified
Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
WINS - no addresses specified
Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
netBIOS set to default
Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.

If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a network
drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message "the
network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup . all
the computers are there.

I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection" to no
avail.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

      20th Apr 2008
Post back the result of "net share" command on figaro.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Jim QCID" <Jim (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> Automatic metrics
> No DNS servers specified
> Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
> Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
> Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
> WINS - no addresses specified
> Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
> netBIOS set to default
> Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.
>
> If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a
> network
> drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message "the
> network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
> Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup .
> all
> the computers are there.
>
> I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection" to

Jim QCID

      20th Apr 2008
C:\>net share

Share name Resource Remark

IPC$ Remote IPC
print$ C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

Canon i9900 USB001 Spooled Canon i9900
HP 5MP LPT1: Spooled HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript
Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to send a
pho
Printer17 LPT1: Spooled QuickBooks PDF Converter
Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to send a
fax
Printer21 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document Image
Wr
Printer23 IP_192.168.0.55 Spooled HP Color LaserJet 3600
Printer24 LPT1: Spooled Family Tree Maker Printer
Printer26 LPT1: Spooled Amyuni Document Converter
Printer27 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Adobe PDF
Printer3 LPT1: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
Printer4 LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
Printer6 IcePortCR: Spooled PaperPort Color Image
Printer7 IcePortMR: Spooled PaperPort Black & White Image
Printer8 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document Writer
The command completed successfully.

C:\>

Thanks!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> > Automatic metrics
> > No DNS servers specified
> > Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
> > Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
> > Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
> > WINS - no addresses specified
> > Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
> > netBIOS set to default
> > Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.
> >
> > If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a
> > network
> > drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message "the
> > network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
> > Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup .
> > all
> > the computers are there.
> >
> > I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection" to

Jim

      20th Apr 2008

"Jim QCID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
>> > Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
>> > Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
>> > WINS - no addresses specified
>> > Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
>> > netBIOS set to default
>> > Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.
>> >
>> > If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a
>> > network
>> > drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message
>> > "the
>> > network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
>> > Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup
>> > .
>> > all
>> > the computers are there.
>> >
>> > I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection"

I don't see C$ in your output of net share...
That is odd. I thought that administrative shares could not be deleted.
But, if it isn't shared, then it cannot be mapped.
Are you certain that you ran this command on the correct computer?
Jim

Jim QCID

      20th Apr 2008
Hi,

Yes, I am certain that I ran it on Figaro, the correct computer. Just to
make sure I ran net share on quality and that didn't show any administrative
shares either, but the administrative shares do show up on the third computer.

Thanks,
Jim

> I don't see C$ in your output of net share...
> That is odd. I thought that administrative shares could not be deleted.
> But, if it isn't shared, then it cannot be mapped.
> Are you certain that you ran this command on the correct computer?
> Jim

Jim QCID

      21st Apr 2008
I just tried creating C$ share and D$share on Figaro and everything works,
but if I stop and restart the SERVER service those shares are deleted (as
they should be).

Can you set the admin shares in the registry so they won't be deleted every
time the computer reboots?

Jim

> > I don't see C$ in your output of net share...
> > That is odd. I thought that administrative shares could not be deleted.
> > But, if it isn't shared, then it cannot be mapped.
> > Are you certain that you ran this command on the correct computer?
> > Jim

Jim QCID

      21st Apr 2008
I think I solved it. Using regedit I went to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

There was no AutoShareServer so I created it and set the value to 1 and
changed the value of AutoShareWks to 1. And now, all the admin shares are
back.

> Jim
>
> > > I don't see C$ in your output of net share...
> > > That is odd. I thought that administrative shares could not be deleted.
> > > But, if it isn't shared, then it cannot be mapped.
> > > Are you certain that you ran this command on the correct computer?
> > > Jim

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

      21st Apr 2008
Yes, that is the problem. If you still have the same issue after restart the
compute, you may want to scan for any spyware or virus. This link may give
more information too.

Troubleshooting Administrative shares are missing issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/netissues...vesharing1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Jim QCID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think I solved it. Using regedit I went to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
>
> There was no AutoShareServer so I created it and set the value to 1 and
> changed the value of AutoShareWks to 1. And now, all the admin shares are
> back.
>

>> Jim

Anteaus

      22nd Apr 2008

"Jim QCID" wrote:

> I just tried creating C$ share and D$share on Figaro and everything works,
> but if I stop and restart the SERVER service those shares are deleted (as
> they should be).

Think it's worth adding that this approach to file-sharing isn't very wise,
anyway.

If the users can access C$, this implies that they have Administrator rights
to the computer hosting the share, not JUST the right to access ordinary
shares. In this case they are probably able to remotely alter its registry,
etc. as well. All it takes is one disgruntled user, or a virus to wreck the
lot.

Better to create a shared folder (other than the root) and give access to
that, usign a non-Admin account on the host machine.