Mapped Network Drives Disconnected at Logon

Jim Snively

      13th Aug 2007
I have a four node Windows XP peer-to-peer network that is not connected to
the internet (by design). Each machine has three network drives mapped to
E:\, F:\ and G:\. One of the machines was recently replaceed with a new
Dell desktop. On this machine the network drives are disconnected when the
machine is booted up and the only user logged on. The drives can be
accessed be accessed by clicking on them in Windows explorer but this an
annoying extra step. I was wondering if there was a windows update that
affected this area that wasn't applied to the the older machines? (Because
of the lack of internet access - Windows Update does not run on these
machines but SR2 was applied).

Does anyone know of a way to overcome this annoying problem.

Jim Snively

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

      13th Aug 2007
It could be autodisconnect issue. this link may help,

Mapping IssuesFirewall and autodisconnect are not issues here because all firewall and ... If you would like to turn Autodisconnect off, do net config server ...
www.chicagotech.net/mapping.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Jim Snively" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a four node Windows XP peer-to-peer network that is not connected to
the internet (by design). Each machine has three network drives mapped to
E:\, F:\ and G:\. One of the machines was recently replaceed with a new
Dell desktop. On this machine the network drives are disconnected when the
machine is booted up and the only user logged on. The drives can be
accessed be accessed by clicking on them in Windows explorer but this an
annoying extra step. I was wondering if there was a windows update that
affected this area that wasn't applied to the the older machines? (Because
of the lack of internet access - Windows Update does not run on these
machines but SR2 was applied).

Does anyone know of a way to overcome this annoying problem.

Jim Snively

Jim Snively

      14th Aug 2007
Bob,

I did net config server /autodisconnect:-1 on all four machines. Behavior is pretty much as expected - drives from machines not on at bootup are disconnected and reconnect quickly when ckicked in right pane of explorer.

I have one machine that always comes up with all drives disconnected. I had added a second user so that a logon was necessary to resolve that problem - but decided to remove the userid so that logon is automatic. The disconnect problem there still persists. All machines have both "Use the Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching" checked. Any idea why this one machine behaves differently that the others?

Jim Snively
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

use "net use * /d" to clean the mapping and then re-logon. Please post back with the result.

[...]

      15th Aug 2007
Bob,

I didn't need to do this. This morning the computer in question was started last and all drives showed connected. I guess what I saw yesterday was a residual from earlier problems that went away with an overnight shutdown.

Thanks,

[...]

      18th Aug 2007
Thank you for the update.