Map drive prompts for username/password?

Mike

      10th Feb 2004
Scenario:
Logon to Windows XP Pro with domain username and password
(remotely - away from the LAN).
Connect to internet via any Dial-up provider.
Connect to LAN via VPN client.

When trying to map a network drive to a resource the
domain user has rights to, get invalid username and am
prompted for username and password.

If the domian\username and password are entered, the
drive mapping connects. Why isn't the Windows logon name
passed?

With Windows 2000 and the exact same scenario, no
username or password is prompted. Even with Windows XP
and a broadband connection, there is no prompt.

Why is Windows XP different with regard to Dial-up? It
seems like Windows XP passes the Dial-up username
((E-Mail Removed) for example) instead of passing the
Windows logon username. How can I make Windows XP pass
the Windows logon username like it does with Windows 2000?

Using a batch file with NET USE /USER: is not an
acceptable work-a-round.

Thanks for any help with this...

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      10th Feb 2004
Suppose net use /user command should cache the credentials so that you don't
need to create batch file. Are you sure you need to use net use /user
command each time for the connection?

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.chicagotech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.chicagotech.net

news:d58301c3f002$97c81960$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scenario:
> Logon to Windows XP Pro with domain username and password
> (remotely - away from the LAN).
> Connect to internet via any Dial-up provider.
> Connect to LAN via VPN client.
>
> When trying to map a network drive to a resource the
> domain user has rights to, get invalid username and am
> prompted for username and password.
>
> If the domian\username and password are entered, the
> drive mapping connects. Why isn't the Windows logon name
> passed?
>
> With Windows 2000 and the exact same scenario, no
> username or password is prompted. Even with Windows XP
> and a broadband connection, there is no prompt.
>
> Why is Windows XP different with regard to Dial-up? It
> seems like Windows XP passes the Dial-up username
> ((E-Mail Removed) for example) instead of passing the
> Windows logon username. How can I make Windows XP pass
> the Windows logon username like it does with Windows 2000?
>
> Using a batch file with NET USE /USER: is not an
> acceptable work-a-round.
>
> Thanks for any help with this...

      10th Feb 2004
Either from Within Windows/Map Network Drive, or from a
batch file, the username and password is always required
(in the scenario described).

This does not seem to be a generic "Windows" issue.
Something is different in Windows XP Pro whereas previous
Windows versions did not have the issue described.

Am I correct that Pre-XP, when mapping network drives,
the Windows logon username and password are passed on to
the new resource connecion? If the wording is not
technically correct, I am certain that Windows 2000 does
not have the problem I am experiencing with XP. And I am
certain the user(s) are logging on with valid domain
account usernames and passwords. Those same usernames
and passwords are supplied when asked, and the mappings
are then successfully made.

Why aren't the "credentials" passed on when connected via
Dial-up tunneling via VPN exactly as if the computer were
tethered to the LAN? Or connected via DSL or Cable
tunneling via VPN? Why is XP different in regard to Dial-
up
?

message
>news:d58301c3f002$97c81960$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Scenario:
>> Logon to Windows XP Pro with domain username and

password
>> (remotely - away from the LAN).
>> Connect to internet via any Dial-up provider.
>> Connect to LAN via VPN client.
>>
>> When trying to map a network drive to a resource the
>> domain user has rights to, get invalid username and am
>> prompted for username and password.
>>
>> If the domian\username and password are entered, the
>> drive mapping connects. Why isn't the Windows logon

name
>> passed?
>>
>> With Windows 2000 and the exact same scenario, no
>> username or password is prompted. Even with Windows XP
>> and a broadband connection, there is no prompt.
>>
>> Why is Windows XP different with regard to Dial-up? It
>> seems like Windows XP passes the Dial-up username
>> ((E-Mail Removed) for example) instead of passing the
>> Windows logon username. How can I make Windows XP pass
>> the Windows logon username like it does with Windows

2000?

>> Using a batch file with NET USE /USER: is not an
>> acceptable work-a-round.
>>
>> Thanks for any help with this...
>>

>.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

      12th Feb 2004
Found a reasonable solution

Instead of using a Net use X: \\'servername'\'sharename' /user:'username' 'password' in a batch file (bad)

Use a Net use X: \\'servername'\'sharename' /user:%username% (username is not a variable here

This forces the logged on username to be passed along with the associated password

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      13th Feb 2004
Mike,

Thank you for posting back with the solution. That is good one.