Manage Add-ons - Add-ons that run without requiring permission

Inra

      12th Apr 2008
The following add-ons are listed under "Add-ons that run WITHOUT REQUIRING
PERMISSION" by Microsoft Corporation all "Enabled" for "Active X Control".

4 for Free Threaded XML Do - MSXML3.dll including 1 that is (not verified)
HtmlDlgSafeHelper Class - mshtmled.dll
InformationCardSigninH - icardie.dll
Microsoft Shell UI Helper - ieframe.dll
Scripting.Dictionary - scrrun.dll
Tabular Data Control - tdc.ocx
3 for Windows Live Messenger - MSGSC8~DLL
Windows Live Messenger - msnmsgr.exe
Windows Live Sign-inC - WindowsLiveLogin.dll
XML Data Source Object - msxmls.dll
XML Data Source Object 3.0 - msxml3.dll
XML Data Source Object 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
XML DOM Document - msxml3.dll
XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml3.dll
XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
XML HTTP 3.0 - msxml3.dll
XML HTTP 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
XML Schema Cache - msxml3.dll
XML Schema Cache 3.0 - msxml3.dll
XML Schema Cache 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
XSL Template - msxml3.dll
XSL Template 3.0 - msxml3.dll
XSL Template 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll

My question is, Do all of these have to be enabled?

Allan

      12th Apr 2008

"Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The following add-ons are listed under "Add-ons that run WITHOUT REQUIRING
> PERMISSION" by Microsoft Corporation all "Enabled" for "Active X Control".
>
> 4 for Free Threaded XML Do - MSXML3.dll including 1 that is (not
> verified)
> HtmlDlgSafeHelper Class - mshtmled.dll
> InformationCardSigninH - icardie.dll
> Microsoft Shell UI Helper - ieframe.dll
> Scripting.Dictionary - scrrun.dll
> Tabular Data Control - tdc.ocx
> 3 for Windows Live Messenger - MSGSC8~DLL
> Windows Live Messenger - msnmsgr.exe
> Windows Live Sign-inC - WindowsLiveLogin.dll
> XML Data Source Object - msxmls.dll
> XML Data Source Object 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML Data Source Object 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML DOM Document - msxml3.dll
> XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml3.dll
> XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML HTTP 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML HTTP 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML Schema Cache - msxml3.dll
> XML Schema Cache 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML Schema Cache 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XSL Template - msxml3.dll
> XSL Template 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XSL Template 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
>
> My question is, Do all of these have to be enabled?

No, you may selectively disable the ones that you don't need. For example,
if you are not using a Smart Card you may safely disable information card
signin helper. These are all used to enable special features of IE.

--
Allan

Inra

      12th Apr 2008
The problem is, I do not know what is needed and what is not. I have XP
Home. There are 4 for the 1st one and one is not verified. I have Windows
Live Messenger installed but there are 3 with the same DLL and 1 is .exe.

"Inra" wrote:

> The following add-ons are listed under "Add-ons that run WITHOUT REQUIRING
> PERMISSION" by Microsoft Corporation all "Enabled" for "Active X Control".
>
> 4 for Free Threaded XML Do - MSXML3.dll including 1 that is (not verified)
> HtmlDlgSafeHelper Class - mshtmled.dll
> InformationCardSigninH - icardie.dll
> Microsoft Shell UI Helper - ieframe.dll
> Scripting.Dictionary - scrrun.dll
> Tabular Data Control - tdc.ocx
> 3 for Windows Live Messenger - MSGSC8~DLL
> Windows Live Messenger - msnmsgr.exe
> Windows Live Sign-inC - WindowsLiveLogin.dll
> XML Data Source Object - msxmls.dll
> XML Data Source Object 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML Data Source Object 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML DOM Document - msxml3.dll
> XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml3.dll
> XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML HTTP 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML HTTP 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XML Schema Cache - msxml3.dll
> XML Schema Cache 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XML Schema Cache 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
> XSL Template - msxml3.dll
> XSL Template 3.0 - msxml3.dll
> XSL Template 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
>
> My question is, Do all of these have to be enabled?

Allan

      12th Apr 2008

"Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is, I do not know what is needed and what is not. I have XP
> Home. There are 4 for the 1st one and one is not verified. I have
> Windows
> Live Messenger installed but there are 3 with the same DLL and 1 is .exe.

If you do not know what they are for then you should leave them enabled. XSL
files are part of MS Word. If you are using WL Messenger then leave all the
ones pertaining to it enabled. If you don't have a Smart Card then you don't
need Info Card signin helper. You can even disable two services "Windows
Card Space" and "Smart Card" as I have on my own machine.

--
Allan

Inra

      13th Apr 2008
Thanks Allan. I have Java installed but there are 4 for Java Plug-in
1.6.0_05 - ssv.dll. I do not use QuickTime but there is 1 for QuickTime
Object (not verified) Apple Corp. - QTPlugin.ocx.

"Allan" wrote:

> "Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The problem is, I do not know what is needed and what is not. I have XP
> > Home. There are 4 for the 1st one and one is not verified. I have
> > Windows
> > Live Messenger installed but there are 3 with the same DLL and 1 is .exe.

> If you do not know what they are for then you should leave them enabled. XSL
> files are part of MS Word. If you are using WL Messenger then leave all the
> ones pertaining to it enabled. If you don't have a Smart Card then you don't
> need Info Card signin helper. You can even disable two services "Windows
> Card Space" and "Smart Card" as I have on my own machine.
>
> --
> Allan

Allan

      13th Apr 2008

"Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Allan. I have Java installed but there are 4 for Java Plug-in
> 1.6.0_05 - ssv.dll. I do not use QuickTime but there is 1 for QuickTime
> Object (not verified) Apple Corp. - QTPlugin.ocx.

Leave all entries called "ssv.dll" alone but disable QTPlugin as long as
QuickTime is not installed. You must have installed QuickTime previously.

--
Allan

Inra

      13th Apr 2008
Thanks again Allan. QuickTime came with the computer but I never use it.

"Allan" wrote:

> "Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Allan. I have Java installed but there are 4 for Java Plug-in
> > 1.6.0_05 - ssv.dll. I do not use QuickTime but there is 1 for QuickTime
> > Object (not verified) Apple Corp. - QTPlugin.ocx.

> Leave all entries called "ssv.dll" alone but disable QTPlugin as long as
> QuickTime is not installed. You must have installed QuickTime previously.
>
> --
> Allan

Allan

      13th Apr 2008

"Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks again Allan. QuickTime came with the computer but I never use it.

If you are not going to install security updates for QuickTime it is better
to uninstall it completely. As for RealPlayer be sure to uninstall "Rhapsody
Player Engine" which is deceptively installed sometimes.

--
Allan

Inra

      19th Jun 2008
To my surprise I saw my posts on two websites - TechArena Community and
Google groups. How did they get there?

"Allan" wrote:

> "Inra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks again Allan. QuickTime came with the computer but I never use it.
> >

> If you are not going to install security updates for QuickTime it is better
> to uninstall it completely. As for RealPlayer be sure to uninstall "Rhapsody
> Player Engine" which is deceptively installed sometimes.
>
> --
> Allan

Inra

      22nd Jun 2008
To my suprise, I saw my posts on two websites - TechArena Community and