Making a SATA drive the boot drive

BobV

      16th Dec 2004
I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.

XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
it says that there are no drives at all.

I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
this doesn't help.

Any answers, thanks, Bob

_Vanguard_

      16th Dec 2004
"BobV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
>SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>
> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot
> drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the
> install won't run because it says that there are no drives at all.
>
> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
> but this doesn't help.
>
> Any answers, thanks, Bob

Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
enabled in BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS
that loads after the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space),
usually as part of the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

The Undertaker

      16th Dec 2004
Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as slave,
and configure it correctly?

"_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "BobV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
> >SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
> >
> > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
> > and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot
> > drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the
> > install won't run because it says that there are no drives at all.
> >
> > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
> > but this doesn't help.
> >
> > Any answers, thanks, Bob
> >

> Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
> SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
> enabled in BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS
> that loads after the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space),
> usually as part of the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEUu?=

      16th Dec 2004
1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown computer,
remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata drive
in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
press F6
for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o raid
a floppy
isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
select,install
xp.

"BobV" wrote:

> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>
> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
> it says that there are no drives at all.
>
> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
> this doesn't help.
>
> Any answers, thanks, Bob

Rick

      16th Dec 2004
BobV wrote:
> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>
> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
> it says that there are no drives at all.
>
> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
> this doesn't help.
>
> Any answers, thanks, Bob

you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.

Rick

GF

      16th Dec 2004

I htave the same board.

1) to install Windows on SATA, I have to
disconnect the IDE drive
Press F6 when asked to, and a diskette
with the necessary drivers (found on
the installation CD) in the floppy drive.

2) Make sure SCSI is set as the first boot
drive in the BIOS.

- But I think that in the SATA
BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
your manual.

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> BobV wrote:
>> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
>> SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>>
>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
>> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
>> If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
>> because it says that there are no drives at all.
>>
>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
>> this doesn't help.
>>
>> Any answers, thanks, Bob

> you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came with
> your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need. I have
> SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
>
> Rick

_Vanguard_

      16th Dec 2004
"The Undertaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as
> slave,
> and configure it correctly?

SATA drives can be configured as master or slave? Hmm, on the mobos
that I've used which include an onboard SATA controller (and of the few
SATA controller cards that I've seen), there is no master/slave
selection. The hard drive connects to only one SATA port which is *not*
shared between two drives. You cannot connect 2 drives to one SATA
port. One SATA drive to one SATA controller via one SATA port. So
where would master/slave be effected when using SATA?

If you are using the SATA-PATA adapter to connect an IDE drive to a SATA
port, you'll need to configure the hard drive however it gets jumpered
as a single drive on an IDE port (i.e., as a single drive or as a master
drive, depending on what the hard drive maker requires for their drive).

Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

_Vanguard_

      16th Dec 2004
> BobV wrote:
>> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
>> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>>
>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
>> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
>> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
>> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
>> all.
>>
>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
>> but this doesn't help.
>>
>> Any answers, thanks, Bob

> you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
> with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
> I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
>
> Rick

Must be unique to Asus then. I have an Abit NF7-S v2 mobo with an
onboard SATA controller chip and BIOS. I only had one drive which was
connected to a SATA port on the mobo. I booted using the Windows XP
installation CD, hit F6 (to later load the SATA driver), it ran through
part of its install (including loading all the drivers to detect what
hardware might respond), and then stopped to ask me to insert the SCSI
driver floppy since no mass storage devices were detected. Inserted the
driver floppy and completed the Windows install. You have to do the
same thing if you want to use SCSI drives as your only drives or as your
boot drive.7

Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

BR549

      16th Dec 2004
Why would you need 2 drives?

BobV wrote:
> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
> SATA
> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>
> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If
> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
> because
> it says that there are no drives at all.
>
> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
> this doesn't help.
>
> Any answers, thanks, Bob

you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.

Rick

Miss Perspicacia Tick

      16th Dec 2004
Rick wrote:
> BobV wrote:
>> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
>> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
>>
>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
>> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
>> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
>> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
>> all. I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA
>> drive but this doesn't help.
>>
>> Any answers, thanks, Bob
>>

> you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
> with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
> I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
>
> Rick

Do you check your drivel before posting?! SATA is *NOT* RAID. I have a
system here with an Asus board running a single SATA drive. You do *NOT* I
repeat do *NOT* require more than one drive for SATA any more than you did
for PATA.
on salads.