how to make a USB memory stick bootable?

Des

      9th Mar 2011
Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
hadn't

TIA

Desmond.

GlowingBlueMist

      9th Mar 2011
On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
> Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
> hadn't
>
> TIA
>
> Desmond.

You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.

http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...a-7-with-wint/

http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-way...-live-usb.html

With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.

Des

      9th Mar 2011
On Mar 9, 12:36*pm, GlowingBlueMist <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
>
> > Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
> > hadn't

> > TIA

> > Desmond.

> You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
> some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.
>
> http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/
>
> http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...table-usb-inst...
>
> http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-way...-live-usb.html
>
> With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.

Ok thanks for this. The first one is ok as I am on windows 7. Problem
is this is to make a bootable windows 7 usb. What I need is a bootable
USB and put the equivalent of an autorun.inf file on it with the name
of the exe if that makes sense.

GlowingBlueMist

      10th Mar 2011
On 3/9/2011 8:39 AM, Des wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:36 pm, GlowingBlueMist<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
>>
>>> Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
>>> hadn't

>>> TIA

>>> Desmond.

>> You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
>> some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.
>>
>> http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/
>>
>> http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...table-usb-inst...
>>
>> http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB
>>
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-way...-live-usb.html
>>
>> With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.

> Ok thanks for this. The first one is ok as I am on windows 7. Problem
> is this is to make a bootable windows 7 usb. What I need is a bootable
> USB and put the equivalent of an autorun.inf file on it with the name
> of the exe if that makes sense.

The real problem is that Windows install customizes the software to work
with the hardware it is attached to at the time of install. If you then
take the USB and try to boot from it using a different computer the
chances of it working are slim due to the hardware differences that
exist. Motherboard drivers, hard drive drivers, ETC.

If you always plan to use it with the same motherboard then the above
problem goes away.

It sounds like you really want to plug in a USB and be able to run
"portable" programs from it. If that is true then you should be able to
do what you want much easier. A quick search for portable applications
or portable USB applications will give you an example of what is available.