How to make traditional outline in Word 2007

Kurt

      12th Dec 2008
A traditional outline has first heading with Roman Numeral I, next level is
A., next level is arabic numeral 1, then a., etc.

In the "multilevel lists" selections in Word 2007, one of the available
formats is like that, but when I hit return, it doesn't automatically start a
new level (e.g., if I have completed "I. First topic" then hit return, Word
does not automatically generate "II." and await input. OTHER selections on
the Multilevel list selections act this way, however.

So, how do I get Word to automatically add the appropriate numbering as I
enter text in a traditional outline?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      13th Dec 2008
The multi-level list you describe is (by default) linked to Word's built-in
heading styles, and the "Style for following paragraph" of heading styles is
always Normal.

You can either modify the heading styles to have the same style as the
following style, or you can modify the multi-level list to use another
series of styles, such as the List Number series.

If you decide to stick with the headings, note that Headings 1-4 are also
formatted as "Keep with next," which will cause problems when a document
contains nothing but headings.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Kurt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A traditional outline has first heading with Roman Numeral I, next level is
> A., next level is arabic numeral 1, then a., etc.
>
> In the "multilevel lists" selections in Word 2007, one of the available
> formats is like that, but when I hit return, it doesn't automatically
> start a
> new level (e.g., if I have completed "I. First topic" then hit return,
> Word
> does not automatically generate "II." and await input. OTHER selections
> on
> the Multilevel list selections act this way, however.
>
> So, how do I get Word to automatically add the appropriate numbering as I
> enter text in a traditional outline?

Kurt

      16th Dec 2008
Thanks. I see how to do this now. I assume I can change the "style for
following" for each of the Heading styles used in that outline, and at the
same time change the font, color, line spaciing, and all of the other
settings that need to be changed; but is there a faster way to create an
Outline Style? Changing all of the settings on all of the levels (or even 5
levels) seems like a lot of work.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> The multi-level list you describe is (by default) linked to Word's built-in
> heading styles, and the "Style for following paragraph" of heading styles is
> always Normal.
>
> You can either modify the heading styles to have the same style as the
> following style, or you can modify the multi-level list to use another
> series of styles, such as the List Number series.
>
> If you decide to stick with the headings, note that Headings 1-4 are also
> formatted as "Keep with next," which will cause problems when a document
> contains nothing but headings.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Kurt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >A traditional outline has first heading with Roman Numeral I, next level is
> > A., next level is arabic numeral 1, then a., etc.
> >
> > In the "multilevel lists" selections in Word 2007, one of the available
> > formats is like that, but when I hit return, it doesn't automatically
> > start a
> > new level (e.g., if I have completed "I. First topic" then hit return,
> > Word
> > does not automatically generate "II." and await input. OTHER selections
> > on
> > the Multilevel list selections act this way, however.
> >
> > So, how do I get Word to automatically add the appropriate numbering as I
> > enter text in a traditional outline?

grammatim

      16th Dec 2008
Depending on what you want to do with your formatting, you could make
Style B "based on" Style A, and then you only have to change the
attributes in B that you want to be different.

I've no idea, though, whether that might interfere with the outline
numbering setup.