how to make text bold in excel using a formula?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFqYSBWYWRsYW11ZGk=?=

      25th Oct 2004
How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click
Bold button, would rather do it using a formula.
The main problem is we are importing data to excel file from a text file
with a delimiter. We need the first row to be bold. How can we achieve bold
thing without manual modification.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgS2FiZWw=?=

      25th Oct 2004
Hi
use 'Format - Conditional Format' for this

"Raja Vadlamudi" wrote:

> How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click
> Bold button, would rather do it using a formula.
> The main problem is we are importing data to excel file from a text file
> with a delimiter. We need the first row to be bold. How can we achieve bold
> thing without manual modification.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgS2FiZWw=?=

      25th Oct 2004
Hi
for an addin see:
http://www.bmsltd.ie/DLCount/DLCount...e=FindLink.zip

"Raja Vadlamudi" wrote:

> How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click
> Bold button, would rather do it using a formula.
> The main problem is we are importing data to excel file from a text file
> with a delimiter. We need the first row to be bold. How can we achieve bold
> thing without manual modification.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFqYSBWYWRsYW11ZGk=?=

      25th Oct 2004
I am importing data from text file, and I dont want to do modify the excel
file after importing. I can modify the text file however I can.
If I say ="First "&"Row"; and import it into excel, it gives me "First Row"
at cell A1. Likewise can I make it bold from the text file itself?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> use 'Format - Conditional Format' for this
>
> "Raja Vadlamudi" wrote:
>
> > How can convert text to bold wihtout using a formula. I dont want to click
> > Bold button, would rather do it using a formula.
> > The main problem is we are importing data to excel file from a text file
> > with a delimiter. We need the first row to be bold. How can we achieve bold
> > thing without manual modification.

Frank Stone

      25th Oct 2004
hi,
formula return a value, they cannot perform an action like
make something bold print. so forget that approach.
you did not say how you were importing. if you are
importing manually then you may be stuck with manual bold.
if you are importing with code then
Range("A:A").FontWeight = 700 'bold

hope this helps
regards
Frank

Dave Peterson

      25th Oct 2004
Text files don't contain formatting.

You'll have to do something after you import the data into excel.

I like to record a macro when I do this--starting at the import.

I continue to record while I adjust column widths, print layout, filtering, and
even bolding.

Then the next time I have to import the same type of text file, I just open up
that workbook that contains the recorded macro and execute that.

It actually makes things easier--no dialogs to go through!

--

Dave Peterson
(E-Mail Removed)

Frank Kabel

      25th Oct 2004
Hi
no this is NOT possible. Formulas can't change formats

--
Regards
Frank Kabel