Make-table does not delete existing table

=?Utf-8?B?Y3Nwb3dlbGw=?=

      6th Nov 2006
I have a make-table query that will not delete the existing table. Instead
of asking if I want to delete existing table, it just tells me it cannot run
the query because the table already exists. I have never had this happen
before. Anyone seen this?

John Vinson

      6th Nov 2006
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:28:02 -0800, cspowell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a make-table query that will not delete the existing table. Instead
>of asking if I want to delete existing table, it just tells me it cannot run
>the query because the table already exists. I have never had this happen
>before. Anyone seen this?

I have never seen a make-table query that WOULD delete an existing
table, and I'd be really, really upset if one ever did!!!

Delete the table first (trap and ignore the error if there is nothing
to delete), and then launch the make-table.

Note that MakeTable queries are VERY inefficient, and very rarely
actually needed. My first choice would be to base your Report, Export,
Form or whatever directly on a Select query; if this is impractical,
then have a "scratch" table, empty it using a Delete query, and then
run an Append query to fill it. This will avoid a lot of the system
overhead in creating and destroying new tables.

John W. Vinson[MVP]