Make a merge letter, with multiple accounts per person

Babylynn

      22nd Mar 2009
I am trying to help a friend do a merge letter with a list of names,
addresses, ssn#s, account numbers, and dollar amounts. Some people have 1
account, and some have more, up to 10. I made a pivot table that sorted each
person's data by their ssn. I produced a merge letter for him that gave a
total for each person. He later came back, and said he need to list the 1 to
10 account numbers and their corresponding amounts. Then he wants a total
for the clients accounts. There are approximately 400 clients. Is there a
way to produce what an account statement for each client that will work like
a merge file, automatically, placing the data into form letter?

--
LJW

Joel

      22nd Mar 2009
I don't know how good your programming skills are. A merge leter is really a
computer program. Using mail merge in Word you should be able to get the
results you are looking form. but it takes a lot of talent. I did a
complicated mail merge for my sister last year. It was my 1st mail merge and
it took me a couple of days to get everything exactly right. then she
thought it was too complicatted and didn't use it.

"Babylynn" wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend do a merge letter with a list of names,
> addresses, ssn#s, account numbers, and dollar amounts. Some people have 1
> account, and some have more, up to 10. I made a pivot table that sorted each
> person's data by their ssn. I produced a merge letter for him that gave a
> total for each person. He later came back, and said he need to list the 1 to
> 10 account numbers and their corresponding amounts. Then he wants a total
> for the clients accounts. There are approximately 400 clients. Is there a
> way to produce what an account statement for each client that will work like
> a merge file, automatically, placing the data into form letter?
>
> --
> LJW

Shane Devenshire

      22nd Mar 2009
Hi,

If you are merging it into Word, I can't be much help for the Word side of
things, but here are some suggestions for the Excel side. If you got the
pivot table to give you acceptable results at the SSN level, you can not put
the Acct # field in the Row area to the right of the SSN field, this will
give you data by SSN by Acct. Maybe that will be enough.

If not, right click on the SSN field and choose Field Settings, Layout, and
check Insert page break after each item. If that works great.

If not move the SSN field to the Page Field area and then choose Pivot
Table, Show Pages, select the SSN field and click OK. You will not have a
page for each SSN.

For more info on the Word side of mail merge:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Babylynn" wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend do a merge letter with a list of names,
> addresses, ssn#s, account numbers, and dollar amounts. Some people have 1
> account, and some have more, up to 10. I made a pivot table that sorted each
> person's data by their ssn. I produced a merge letter for him that gave a
> total for each person. He later came back, and said he need to list the 1 to
> 10 account numbers and their corresponding amounts. Then he wants a total
> for the clients accounts. There are approximately 400 clients. Is there a
> way to produce what an account statement for each client that will work like
> a merge file, automatically, placing the data into form letter?
>
> --
> LJW

macropod

      22nd Mar 2009
Hi Babylynn,

You can do this in Word using a Catalogue or Directory mailmerge (terminolgy depends on the Word version). To see how, check out my
Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showto...7&#entry731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.

--
Cheers
macropod