Maintenance files is C:\Windows

Weisenheimer

      25th Jul 2009
Hi all,
I run a WXP SP3 installed from a WXP GA CD. All fixes and fix packs received
from MS have been sucessfully installed. One outcome is, that C:\Windows
contains appr. 1 GB of data in ~ 150 of directories ($hf_mig$, $NTUninstall,
....) partly packed already. Nevertheless my virus scanner and windows
defender scans them each time a system scan is performed. This takes 80% of
all virus scan time.

Is there any safe and consistent way to get rid of these (unneeded) files?
--
Regards
Weisenheimer

Jim

      25th Jul 2009

"Weisenheimer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I run a WXP SP3 installed from a WXP GA CD. All fixes and fix packs
> received
> from MS have been sucessfully installed. One outcome is, that C:\Windows
> contains appr. 1 GB of data in ~ 150 of directories ($hf_mig$,
> $NTUninstall,
> ...) partly packed already. Nevertheless my virus scanner and windows
> defender scans them each time a system scan is performed. This takes 80%
> of
> all virus scan time.
>
> Is there any safe and consistent way to get rid of these (unneeded)
> files?
> --
> Regards
> Weisenheimer

This subject has been discussed many many many times.

Leave $hf_mig$ alone. Move the others; which are only needed in case you
want to uninstall a patch, to a DVD.

Furthermore, if 1 GB of storage is significant, you really ought to consider
a new system disk.

Jim

Ǝиçεl

      25th Jul 2009
Hello Weisenheimer,

Have a look at this article. It may be relevant to your prºblem.

Save Space After Installing Updates

<http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm>

Another link that may be of interest -

<http://www.pctipsbox.com/clearing-out-space-on-your-parents-system-hard-drive>