Mail Merge in Powerpoint

StatMan

      28th Nov 2007
We have a huge project that we do every quarter. We do approximately
1000 slides (one each for 1000 dealers) that each contain a bar chart
and some text. Is there any way to do a "mail-merge type" setup in
Powerpoint so that we can create the chart once and have Powerpoint
automatically create a slide for each record in an Excel spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Brian

John Wilson

      28th Nov 2007
I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.

http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html
--
Amazing PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials

http://www.PPTAlchemy.co.uk
http://www.technologytrish.co.uk
email john AT technologytrish.co.uk

"StatMan" wrote:

> We have a huge project that we do every quarter. We do approximately
> 1000 slides (one each for 1000 dealers) that each contain a bar chart
> and some text. Is there any way to do a "mail-merge type" setup in
> Powerpoint so that we can create the chart once and have Powerpoint
> automatically create a slide for each record in an Excel spreadsheet?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

StatMan

      28th Nov 2007
John Wilson wrote:

> I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.
>
> http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html

I looked at this, but I think it only allows you to merge text. What
I'm looking for is the ability to merge data into a chart.

Steve Rindsberg

      28th Nov 2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Wilson
wrote:
> I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.
>
> http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html

Man's got religion, I see. <g>

Unfortunately, Merge won't merge data into charts. Yet.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

StatMan

      28th Nov 2007
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Wilson
> wrote:
>
>>I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.
>>
>>http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html

> Man's got religion, I see. <g>
>
> Unfortunately, Merge won't merge data into charts. Yet.

> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools: www.pptools.com

Any idea if there's a way to do this or not?

Brian Reilly, MVP

      28th Nov 2007
Brian, Oh, you are another Brian!
Sure this is possible. I do this sort of thing all the time. Just
don't think of MailMerge as the concept.

How comfortable are you with VBA coding?

Before I'd offer any advice, I would first ask you how the data is
arranged. Excel right? Want to post a few (two or three) rows of XL
data for each dealer/record (change the data as you see fit for
confidentiality. I just need to see a spreadsheet layout, assuming you
are using spreadsheets to maintain the data.

Brian Reilly, MVP

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:46:51 -0600, StatMan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have a huge project that we do every quarter. We do approximately
>1000 slides (one each for 1000 dealers) that each contain a bar chart
>and some text. Is there any way to do a "mail-merge type" setup in
>Powerpoint so that we can create the chart once and have Powerpoint
>automatically create a slide for each record in an Excel spreadsheet?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian

Steve Rindsberg

      29th Nov 2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, StatMan wrote:
> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Wilson
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.
> >>
> >>http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html

> > Man's got religion, I see. <g>
> >
> > Unfortunately, Merge won't merge data into charts. Yet.

> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> > PPTools: www.pptools.com
> >

> Any idea if there's a way to do this or not?

Not with anything I've done, no.
Let's see what Brian's got in mind.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Sethu V

      3rd Nov 2010
Hi,
I had a similar problem and discovered a dead simple solution. Here are the steps.

1. In the ppt choose "Edit > Select All" (You can skip header/footer if not required) and Copy (Ctrl C)

2. Open a new word file and go to "File > Page setup" and choose "Landscape" layout mode (it is best for ppt slides)

3. Go to the Drawing tool bar and (if it is not visible, go to "Toolbar - Drawing". In the Drawing tool bar, click any shape (say circle). On clicking, an outline rectangular box will open up in the word document page. (Dont worry about the circle created, you can delete it later, it is just to invoke the "rectangular drawing area box"

4. Rt click your mouse in the drawing area (now shown as outlined rectangle), and just paste the ppt certificate content that you had copied in Step 1 above

5. The ppt slide content is now visible inside the drawing box. You can edit the content just by simple mouse click. At this point you have fully "editable" ppt content within a word document in landscape mode

From hereon, you can follow the standard Word Mail merge procedure (Tools > Letters and Mailings > Mail Merge > Letters (or email) and create do a regular mail merge using data sources (xl data, CSV, txt file etc).

After setting up the mail merge, simply send it as e-mail (or) "print to pdf" (or) Print to file.

Using the above method, I printed out 450 certificates which contained 4 fields that were merged from an xl sheet (Student Name, Project Name, Scores, Certificate #)

Try it out and I am sure it will solve your problem!!

No need for any add-ons or extra s/w, just MS office functionality is good enough to get this done!!

Cheers!!

Sethu V
eXample Consulting Group
http://www.eXampleCG.com
(Enabling Excellence!!)

> On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:46 AM StatMan wrote:

> We have a huge project that we do every quarter. We do approximately
> 1000 slides (one each for 1000 dealers) that each contain a bar chart
> and some text. Is there any way to do a "mail-merge type" setup in
> Powerpoint so that we can create the chart once and have Powerpoint
> automatically create a slide for each record in an Excel spreadsheet?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

>> On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:08 PM john AT technologytrish.co DOT uk wrote:

>> I've never tried this but I'd be VERY surprized if it wasn't good.
>>
>> http://www.pptools.com/merge/index.html
>> --
>> Amazing PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials
>>
>> http://www.PPTAlchemy.co.uk
>> http://www.technologytrish.co.uk
>> email john AT technologytrish.co.uk
>>

>> "StatMan" wrote:

>>> On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:21 PM StatMan wrote:

>>> John Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> I looked at this, but I think it only allows you to merge text. What
>>> I am looking for is the ability to merge data into a chart.

LVTravel

      3rd Nov 2010
Geez what a moron!~ Posting to dead egghead posts from 1 and 3 years ago.
Don't these morons ever look before they type? Just the kind of person that
is representing "Enabling Excellence!!,", yea, right!