PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Machine With Two Versions of Excel Installed

 
 
Mike McCollister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      31st Mar 2007
I have a friend with a machine with two versions of office installed (2002
and 2003). How can I get Excel 2002 to be the default version when I double
click on an *.xls file?

Thanks,

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Peterson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      31st Mar 2007
I think windows will use the last version of excel that was installed as the
default program associated with the extension.

But you can reregister excel so that an earlier version will be the default.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
"C:\yourpathtoexcel2002\excel.exe" /regserver

And then test it.



Mike McCollister wrote:
>
> I have a friend with a machine with two versions of office installed (2002
> and 2003). How can I get Excel 2002 to be the default version when I double
> click on an *.xls file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike


--

Dave Peterson
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MartinW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2007
Hi Mike,

You can do that through your windows settings
Goto Start>Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options click on the
File Types tab select the XLS file extension and at the bottom
of the dialog box you can change which program it opens
with there are also extra options on the advanced tab.

I haven't seen Excel override these settings although I know
Autocad will in certain circumstances. Having two versions
of Excel may confuse things, maybe not. A bit of trial and error
should sort things out.

HTH
Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike McCollister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2007
Dave,

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get to that machine again.

Mike

"Dave Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think windows will use the last version of excel that was installed as
>the
> default program associated with the extension.
>
> But you can reregister excel so that an earlier version will be the
> default.
>
> Close excel
> windows start button|Run
> "C:\yourpathtoexcel2002\excel.exe" /regserver
>
> And then test it.
>
>
>
> Mike McCollister wrote:
>>
>> I have a friend with a machine with two versions of office installed
>> (2002
>> and 2003). How can I get Excel 2002 to be the default version when I
>> double
>> click on an *.xls file?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike

>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike McCollister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2007
Martin,

Thanks. I'll try that if Dave's suggestion does not work.

Mike

"MartinW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eUUIXj%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Mike,
>
> You can do that through your windows settings
> Goto Start>Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options click on the
> File Types tab select the XLS file extension and at the bottom
> of the dialog box you can change which program it opens
> with there are also extra options on the advanced tab.
>
> I haven't seen Excel override these settings although I know
> Autocad will in certain circumstances. Having two versions
> of Excel may confuse things, maybe not. A bit of trial and error
> should sort things out.
>
> HTH
> Martin
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two versions of Windows 2000 on one machine (same partition) BertieBigBollox@gmail.com Microsoft Windows 2000 5 4th Aug 2010 04:51 PM
Can I run two versions of XP on two different drives with two separate boots? David D Windows XP General 9 15th Aug 2006 08:30 PM
Copy reg & config between two versions of XP on the same machine? =?Utf-8?B?TWFsY29sbQ==?= Windows XP Setup 2 7th Aug 2006 04:38 PM
run web apps for two framework versions on one machine? manny Microsoft ASP .NET 2 30th Mar 2006 06:11 PM
Two different versions of Word on same machine? =?Utf-8?B?ZGJmb3J1bTI5?= Microsoft Word Document Management 4 26th Jul 2005 04:58 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 PM.