anon

      28th Aug 2003
Is anyone else noticing a lull in virus attack activity? Today was almost a
"normal" day.

David W. Hodgins

      28th Aug 2003
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:29:55 -0400, anon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is anyone else noticing a lull in virus attack activity? Today was almost a
> "normal" day.

Today I received one copy of gibe.b, and my first sobig.f (only one so far).

I think my ISP was filtering sobig.f, but must have turned off there filters.

Still, a very quite day. Spam is back to normal levels too, though.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Hurricane Andrew

      28th Aug 2003

--
I've actually seen an increase. Up until Wednesday, I'd recevied about 5 or
6 SoBig. On Thurs, I recevied 9 total, and this morning I've already

Andrew

"David W. Hodgins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsprulflce0zpegei@nntp...
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:29:55 -0400, anon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else noticing a lull in virus attack activity? Today was

almost a
> > "normal" day.

> Today I received one copy of gibe.b, and my first sobig.f (only one so

far).

> I think my ISP was filtering sobig.f, but must have turned off there

filters.

> Still, a very quite day. Spam is back to normal levels too, though.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

John Coutts

      28th Aug 2003

>Is anyone else noticing a lull in virus attack activity? Today was almost a
>"normal" day.

*************** REPLY SEPARATER ****************
Yes, we have noticed a dramatic decrease: 97+ on Tuesday, 33 on Wednesday, and
only 4 so far today (but the day isn't over yet). Some ISPs are filtering out
Sobig.f based on the header information, but we are not. Since Sobig.f is sent
direct from the infected machine, the only reason I can think of is that the
public at large is slowly becoming aware and reacting to it. No one on our
Network has reported being infected yet.

During the peak period, we did see some malicious attempts to send the Sobig.f
virus direct to our third priority server from 2 Dial-Up networks (Telus & La
Cite Collegiale). There was also some overspill due to the first 2 servers
being so busy, but the Dial-Ups appear to be deliberate as they were from
different IP addresses within the same range.