LPD Service in Windows XP?

Jason

      21st Jul 2003
Does Windows XP Pro have a LPD service so that my LPR
clients can print to my shared printer?

Tx ....... JW

Jason

      21st Jul 2003
Thanks Cyberbear. I will try your second choice tonight.
The reason I asked is because my wife has a Win2k laptop
configured with cached credentials from her company. With
this, I can not get her laptop to see my shared printer on
my workgroup net (her laptop is set to her company's
domain). I hope with LPD/LPR, her laptop will then be
able to see and print to the shared printer.

Tx....... JW

Or you
>could:
>
>Try going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs >

Add/Remove
>Windows
>Components. Scroll down to "Other network file and print
>services".
>Highlight that and click the "Details" button. You will

be able
>to select
>(and add) Printing Services for Unix.
>
>This should help you do what you need to do.
>
>HTH
>

>.

Bruce Sanderson

      22nd Jul 2003
The LPR/LPD solution should work, as long as there is "IP connectivty"
between the two computers.

For example, the Win2K laptop is probably configured to use DHCP for IP
settings. If your home network does not have a DHCP server (e.g. an XP
computer with ICS installed, a router), you may not have any network
connectivity between the two computers at all. Can you "ping" between the
computers successfully?

You should be able to get normal Windows file and print sharing to work in
your situation, as long as there is connectivity as explained above.

Add a local user account on your home XP computer that has the same username
and password as your wife uses to logon to the work domain. Then, your XP
computer will "know" about your wife's user account and you should be able
to file and print sharing working.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:054701c34f90$b5697c60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Cyberbear. I will try your second choice tonight.
> The reason I asked is because my wife has a Win2k laptop
> configured with cached credentials from her company. With
> this, I can not get her laptop to see my shared printer on
> my workgroup net (her laptop is set to her company's
> domain). I hope with LPD/LPR, her laptop will then be
> able to see and print to the shared printer.
>
> Tx....... JW

Bruce Sanderson

      26th Jul 2003
After installing the Print Services for Unix, any printer known on that
computer can receive print via LPD. You don't have to "share" the printer.

On the other computer (wife's?), you create a Standard TCP/IP port and add
the printer to that. Then, you modify the Properties of the Standard TCP/IP
port to use LPR, specify either the IP address or DNS name of the target
computer (probably the IP address of your's in this case) and set the "Queue
Name" to be identical to the "Printer Name" on the target computer.

If you need help doing this, post again.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

news:0bb901c35058$38a90150$(E-Mail Removed)...