Lottery check

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

      13th Sep 2006
We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4?=

      13th Sep 2006
"Ron" wrote:
> We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

One way to set it up ..

Assuming the winning numbers will be entered in A1:F1 in Sheet1,
for example: 1, 15, 25, 38, 48, 49
(The numbers within A1:F1 need not be sorted, can be in any order)

And the picked #s are listed in Sheet2, in cols B to G, row1 down
4 15 20 28 35 49
1 15 25 38 47 48
6 15 25 38 41 49
etc

(as before, the numbers within each row need not be sorted)

Put in say, I1:
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:G1,Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1,0)))
Copy I1 down.

Col I will return the desired # of matched numbers
For the sample data, you'll get in I1:I3 : 2, 5, 4
--
Max
Singapore

Biff

      13th Sep 2006
Here's a file that does what you want.

Ticket Checker.xls 84kb

http://cjoint.com/?jneKqRchxY

It has a sheet for 5 numbers and one for 6 numbers. There is one very simple
macro that clears the number grid if you click the RESET button. It will
highlight and count any matches. It uses data validation so you won't make
any mistakes when you enter your numbers.

Biff

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

      13th Sep 2006
There are 7 numbers drawn so that checker won't work but thanks.

"Biff" wrote:

> Here's a file that does what you want.
>
> Ticket Checker.xls 84kb
>
> http://cjoint.com/?jneKqRchxY
>
> It has a sheet for 5 numbers and one for 6 numbers. There is one very simple
> macro that clears the number grid if you click the RESET button. It will
> highlight and count any matches. It uses data validation so you won't make
> any mistakes when you enter your numbers.
>
> Biff
>
> "Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> > spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

      13th Sep 2006
We're in Singapore a few times a year! We teach at Ngee Ann Poly. How wierd...
Thanks Max. I'll try this out and get back.

"Max" wrote:

> "Ron" wrote:
> > We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> > spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

> One way to set it up ..
>
> Assuming the winning numbers will be entered in A1:F1 in Sheet1,
> for example: 1, 15, 25, 38, 48, 49
> (The numbers within A1:F1 need not be sorted, can be in any order)
>
> And the picked #s are listed in Sheet2, in cols B to G, row1 down
> 4 15 20 28 35 49
> 1 15 25 38 47 48
> 6 15 25 38 41 49
> etc
>
> (as before, the numbers within each row need not be sorted)
>
> Put in say, I1:
> =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:G1,Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1,0)))
> Copy I1 down.
>
> Col I will return the desired # of matched numbers
> For the sample data, you'll get in I1:I3 : 2, 5, 4
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

Don Guillett

      13th Sep 2006
Here is an idea I used on the Texas Lottery until I decided NOT to play
anymore. Ripoff.

conditional format using formula to highlight the cell
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$5:$F$5=B9)*1)
& copy across
to count
=IF(G9=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(B9:F9,$B$5:$F$5)))
with conditional formatting cell value is >=4

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

      13th Sep 2006
Thanks Max. It works perfectly!
And thank you to all who replied.
This is GREAT!

"Max" wrote:

> "Ron" wrote:
> > We buy 35 tickets twice a week and always the same numbers. Can I make a
> > spreadsheet that will check our tickets against the winning numbers?

> One way to set it up ..
>
> Assuming the winning numbers will be entered in A1:F1 in Sheet1,
> for example: 1, 15, 25, 38, 48, 49
> (The numbers within A1:F1 need not be sorted, can be in any order)
>
> And the picked #s are listed in Sheet2, in cols B to G, row1 down
> 4 15 20 28 35 49
> 1 15 25 38 47 48
> 6 15 25 38 41 49
> etc
>
> (as before, the numbers within each row need not be sorted)
>
> Put in say, I1:
> =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:G1,Sheet1!$A$1:$F$1,0)))
> Copy I1 down.
>
> Col I will return the desired # of matched numbers
> For the sample data, you'll get in I1:I3 : 2, 5, 4
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4?=

      14th Sep 2006
Glad to hear that, Ron !
Thanks for feeding back ..
--
"Ron" wrote:
> Thanks Max. It works perfectly!
> And thank you to all who replied.
> This is GREAT!

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4?=

      14th Sep 2006
"Ron" wrote:
> .. How weird ...

... it's ok, cyberspace knows no boundaries <g>
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

      14th Sep 2006
Hi Max,
The formula works but only for approx. 20 lottery tickets and then it
doesn't seem to check the rest. Am I doing something wrong? It's almost as if
it needs to be told to check them all???
Can anyone help?
Ron