Lost Password - Dell Laptop

Tom D.

      16th Nov 2004
I am trying to assist a friend who has forgotten the Password for his Dell
Insperon 8200 laptop system running Windows XP.

I keep getting a message "This Computer system xxxxxxxxxx is protected by a
password authentication system. You cannot access the data without the
correct password. I suspect this may be a BIOS located password?

This happens in a normal start, Safe mode start, trying to enter Setup [F1
key], Delete Key start and when attempting to start using the Dell Provided
Operating System CD in the CD or DVD drives.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I install a new password or
otherwise get the system operating?

Tom D.

=?Utf-8?B?a3BhYWpv?=

      16th Nov 2004
Hi!

It is BIOS password. You have to reset BIOS to defaults. Normally that can
be done from a jumper on the motherboard. Unconnecting and connecting the
BIOS battery should also help.

But: how can somebody forget his password? Last case I heard of was the guy
who had forgotten to ask the password from the other guy whos laptop he had
stolen...

kpaajo