Lost data on 320GB hard disk and corrupted data on 250gb hard disk

=?Utf-8?B?SUpWZWxhcw==?=

      15th Jan 2007
My computer setup before reinstalling a fresh copy of WIndows XP is P4 2.8
Ghz on a Intel PERL Motherboard, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video, Partitioned PATA 80GB
Seagate (C: 40GB, D: 40GB) hard disk, SATA 250GB hard disk (E, SATA 320GB
hard disk (F. Installed is Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by
Microsoft. This setup is already a year old so I've decided to reinstall a
fresh copy of Windows XP. After successfully installing a new Windows XP
SP2, I couldn't access my 320GB hard disk and everytime I boot up my WIndows
XP scandisk always run. I always cancel the scandisk because I'm afraid that
I might loose my valuable data if scandisk corrects the problems found by
scandisk.

Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. I opened
Computer Management to see the list of drives and found out that my 320GB
hard disk is only detected as 130GB hard disk but in the BIOS it says 320GB
hard disk. After doing some research on the net, I found out that Windows XP
doesn't automatically support large hard drives greater than 130GB (I think).
I edited the registry and added DWORD EnableLargeLba = 1 then rebooted my
PC. After the reboot, Windows XP still reports that my 250GB hard disk has
problems. Opened Computer Management again and checked my hard drives.
Computer Management now reports that my 320GB hard disk has 130GB (healthy)
and 170GB (unallocated).

I also lost some data and corrupted files on my 250GB hard disk.

I think the cause of this was Windows XP automatically reconfigured the
partitions on my hard drive since it doesn't support large hard disks greater
than 130GB.

Is it still possible to recover all my data on my 320gb hard disk and 250gb
hard disk drives? What should I do? I am sure that my hard drives are
working in good condition because I just bought them a few months ago.

Thanks

Shenan Stanley

      15th Jan 2007
IJVelas wrote:
> My computer setup before reinstalling a fresh copy of WIndows XP is
> P4 2.8 Ghz on a Intel PERL Motherboard, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video,
> Partitioned PATA 80GB Seagate (C: 40GB, D: 40GB) hard disk, SATA
> 250GB hard disk (E, SATA 320GB hard disk (F. Installed is
> Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by Microsoft. This setup is
> already a year old so I've decided to reinstall a fresh copy of
> Windows XP. After successfully installing a new Windows XP SP2, I
> couldn't access my 320GB hard disk and everytime I boot up my
> WIndows XP scandisk always run. I always cancel the scandisk
> because I'm afraid that I might loose my valuable data if scandisk
> corrects the problems found by scandisk.
>
> Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. I
> opened Computer Management to see the list of drives and found out
> that my 320GB hard disk is only detected as 130GB hard disk but in
> the BIOS it says 320GB hard disk. After doing some research on the
> net, I found out that Windows XP doesn't automatically support
> large hard drives greater than 130GB (I think). I edited the
> registry and added DWORD EnableLargeLba = 1 then rebooted my PC.
> After the reboot, Windows XP still reports that my 250GB hard disk
> has problems. Opened Computer Management again and checked my hard
> drives. Computer Management now reports that my 320GB hard disk has
> 130GB (healthy) and 170GB (unallocated).
>
> I also lost some data and corrupted files on my 250GB hard disk.
>
> I think the cause of this was Windows XP automatically reconfigured
> the partitions on my hard drive since it doesn't support large hard
> disks greater than 130GB.
>
> Is it still possible to recover all my data on my 320gb hard disk
> and 250gb hard disk drives? What should I do? I am sure that my
> hard drives are working in good condition because I just bought
> them a few months ago.

Windows XP SP1 and later 'automatically' (out-of-the-box) supports drives
larger than 137GB.
Your results from your research was incorrect or at least incomplete.

As long as you installed Windows XP SP1 or SP2 initially (not updated it to
SP2) - the support was there from the beginning.

You may be having trouble with the drivers for the controller?
Update those from the controller card or motherboard manufacturer?
(If built into the motherboard - the chipset drivers should cover that.)

No one should have suspected a hard disk issue from the information you
gave...

When you installed Windows XP - was it from a CD integrated with SP1 or SP2?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SUpWZWxhcw==?=

      15th Jan 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Thanks for correcting me, I reviewed the article again. But why is it that
my hard disks is not recognized correctly by Windows XP? What I did was, I
installed a Windows XP (not SP1 and SP2) and reinstalled Windows XP SP2.

IJVelas wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013
>
> Thanks for correcting me, I reviewed the article again. But why is
> it that my hard disks is not recognized correctly by Windows XP?
> What I did was, I installed a Windows XP (not SP1 and SP2) and
> reinstalled Windows XP SP2.

Unfortunately - my experience with this issue is limited - as I normally
integrate all of the patches into my installation media as it is released.
What this means is I always install with the latest version of the OS.

I cannot say if your data is okay or not. One of the more interesting
quotes I can find on this issue is:
"Usually its preferable to use Windows XP SP1 or Windows XP SP2 for
installation with drives larger than 137GB, and NOT using Windows XP
(original release) AND updated to SP1 or SP2. If its the UPDATE TO SP1/SP2
type, then setting the EnableBigLba registry is required for drives larger
than 137GB. To add more.. NEVER attach larger than 137GB drives while the
48-bit LBA feature is not enabled or not present! Enable first before
attaching the drives!"
( http://forums.storagereview.net/inde...ST&f=2&t=21489 )

What that says to me is that your theory is correct - when you thought
Windows (non-SP that you initially installed) could not see your drives
correctly - it may have written something to them and - well - messed things
up majorly. The proper way - without slipstreaming/integrating SP2 into
your installation media - to do what you were trying to would have been to
unhook all drives but the one you were installing on (the 80GB?) and
installed, patched, etc - then reconnected the larger drives once Windows XP
had been patched to support such drives (SP2...)

There may be nothing wrong and a simple solution to this - but I have not
found in in my searches and like I said - I am unfamilar with this issue
beyond what I have read. Perhaps someone who has more experience can help
now that we know how it happened...

All drives - including the ones too large to be recognized without at least
SP1 for Windows XP - were available to Windows XP (non-SP) when it was
installed and now - even after upgrading to SP2 - you cannot see your data.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Anna

      15th Jan 2007

>> IJVelas wrote:
>> > My computer setup before reinstalling a fresh copy of WIndows XP is
>> > P4 2.8 Ghz on a Intel PERL Motherboard, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video,
>> > Partitioned PATA 80GB Seagate (C: 40GB, D: 40GB) hard disk, SATA
>> > 250GB hard disk (E, SATA 320GB hard disk (F. Installed is
>> > Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by Microsoft. This setup is
>> > already a year old so I've decided to reinstall a fresh copy of
>> > Windows XP. After successfully installing a new Windows XP SP2, I
>> > couldn't access my 320GB hard disk and everytime I boot up my
>> > WIndows XP scandisk always run. I always cancel the scandisk
>> > because I'm afraid that I might loose my valuable data if scandisk
>> > corrects the problems found by scandisk.
>> >
>> > Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. I
>> > opened Computer Management to see the list of drives and found out
>> > that my 320GB hard disk is only detected as 130GB hard disk but in
>> > the BIOS it says 320GB hard disk. After doing some research on the
>> > net, I found out that Windows XP doesn't automatically support
>> > large hard drives greater than 130GB (I think). I edited the
>> > registry and added DWORD EnableLargeLba = 1 then rebooted my PC.
>> > After the reboot, Windows XP still reports that my 250GB hard disk
>> > has problems. Opened Computer Management again and checked my hard
>> > drives. Computer Management now reports that my 320GB hard disk has
>> > 130GB (healthy) and 170GB (unallocated).
>> >
>> > I also lost some data and corrupted files on my 250GB hard disk.
>> >
>> > I think the cause of this was Windows XP automatically reconfigured
>> > the partitions on my hard drive since it doesn't support large hard
>> > disks greater than 130GB.
>> >
>> > Is it still possible to recover all my data on my 320gb hard disk
>> > and 250gb hard disk drives? What should I do? I am sure that my
>> > hard drives are working in good condition because I just bought
>> > them a few months ago.

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>> Windows XP SP1 and later 'automatically' (out-of-the-box) supports drives
>> larger than 137GB.
>> Your results from your research was incorrect or at least incomplete.
>>
>> As long as you installed Windows XP SP1 or SP2 initially (not updated it
>> SP2) - the support was there from the beginning.
>>
>> You may be having trouble with the drivers for the controller?
>> Update those from the controller card or motherboard manufacturer?
>> (If built into the motherboard - the chipset drivers should cover that.)
>>
>> No one should have suspected a hard disk issue from the information you
>> gave...
>>
>> When you installed Windows XP - was it from a CD integrated with SP1 or
>> SP2?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP

"IJVelas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013
>
> Thanks for correcting me, I reviewed the article again. But why is it that
> my hard disks is not recognized correctly by Windows XP? What I did was, I
> installed a Windows XP (not SP1 and SP2) and reinstalled Windows XP SP2.

IJVelas:
It would appear that when you originally installed XP (sans SP1 and/or SP2)
the 137 GB disk capacity limitation was invoked, i.e., both your 250 & 320
GB HDDs would have been affected. So the system would not recognize disk
space > 137 GB (approx.) under those circumstances. Presumably while you
were using those two HDDs during the time SP1 and/or SP2 was *not* installed
you could not have utilized any disk space > 137 GB (approx) so I don't
understand how you could create any data on that space - data that you infer
has been lost. Are you certain about this? Are you perhaps referring to data
on the 137 GB partition? And (in this connection) you mention only the 320
GB HDD as being affected by lost data. Not the 250 GB one although you do
indicate there is a problem with lost files & corrupted data re that HDD but
it's not clear whether you're referring to the problem involving disk
capacity recognition here.

Now when you fresh installed XP w/SP2 to your 80 GB HDD (it *was* to that
HDD, right?), the system would now recognize the full capacity of your 250
GB & 320 GB HDDs, however the additional disk space > 137 GB (approx) would
have been designated as "unallocated" - disk space that you could
partition/format on both the 250 GB & 320 GB HDDs. Again, I'm assuming the
250 GB HDD was similarly affected as the 320 GB, presuming that the 250 GB
HDD had been installed when you originally installed the XP OS without SP1
or SP2.

The problems you mention re scannow and that "Windows XP tells me that my
320GB hard disk is not formatted" indicate that something is amiss with your
system - probably having something to do with your fresh install of XP or
something else. Assuming this is practical I wonder if at this point it
would be advisable to undertake a new fresh install of XP - making sure that
*all* other HDDs and storage devices are disconnected from the system during
this fresh install (presumably to your 80 GB HDD - I take it for one reason
or another you prefer the OS to reside on that HDD rather than on one of
your large-capacity HDDs. I don't know why - it wouldn't ordinarily be my
choice but I take it you have your reasons). I'm assuming you would have no
difficulty re:installing your programs & applications following the fresh
install.

Or in lieu of a new fresh install of the OS you could perform a Repair
install on that boot drive. Again, ensure that all HDDs & storage devices
are disconnected from the system during that operation.

I'm not sure whether you'll be able to restore any lost data from your two
SATA HDDs after this. There may be other problems affecting this situation.
Anna

=?Utf-8?B?SUpWZWxhcw==?=

      15th Jan 2007
On my previous setup, I just addedd the 2 hard disks and set them up using
Computer Management that's why I didn't encounter some problems. But when I
did a fresh install, that's when I encountered problems with my hard disks.

Regarding the scandisk, It only scans my 250GB hard disk so I'm sure that
there is no problem with my latest install of Windows XP SP2. But just in
case I will also try your advise.

The reason why I use the 80GB hard drive as my operating disk because if my
system gets damaged, I could easily reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP.
That's what I've been doing ever since. This problem happened because I was
not familiar that Windows XP does not handle large disk not until it happened
to me. I hope you guys could help me find a way to restore the data in my
hard drive.

Thanks.

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]

> *all* other HDDs and storage devices are disconnected from the system during
> this fresh install (presumably to your 80 GB HDD - I take it for one reason
> or another you prefer the OS to reside on that HDD rather than on one of
> your large-capacity HDDs. I don't know why - it wouldn't ordinarily be my
> choice but I take it you have your reasons). I'm assuming you would have no
> difficulty re:installing your programs & applications following the fresh
> install.
>
> Or in lieu of a new fresh install of the OS you could perform a Repair
> install on that boot drive. Again, ensure that all HDDs & storage devices
> are disconnected from the system during that operation.
>
> I'm not sure whether you'll be able to restore any lost data from your two
> SATA HDDs after this. There may be other problems affecting this situation.

Anna

      15th Jan 2007

> [...]

> Computer Management that's why I didn't encounter some problems. But when
> did a fresh install, that's when I encountered problems with my hard
> disks.
>
> Regarding the scandisk, It only scans my 250GB hard disk so I'm sure that
> there is no problem with my latest install of Windows XP SP2. But just in
> case I will also try your advise.
>
> The reason why I use the 80GB hard drive as my operating disk because if
> my
> system gets damaged, I could easily reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP.
> That's what I've been doing ever since. This problem happened because I
> was
> not familiar that Windows XP does not handle large disk not until it
> happened
> to me. I hope you guys could help me find a way to restore the data in my

I really don't have any further comments to make re your specific problem(s)
and I would suggest you re:read my former comments together with the
questions I raised...

But I did want to comment on your statement that the reason you install the
OS onto your 80 GB HDD (I assume it's a PATA drive) rather than on one of
your large-capacity (and presumably faster) SATA HDDs is "because if my
system gets damaged, I could easily reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP.
That's what I've been doing ever since.". In my opinion, what you *should*
be focused on is establishing & maintaining a comprehensive backup program
that you will routinely use. In that vein you might consider employing a
disk imaging program or any other backup program that you're comfortable
with. And in so doing use your 80 GB HDD as the recipient of the backup
material (assuming it can handle the backed-up data) either as a internal or
external HDD. And use one of your large-capacity SATA HDDs to install the
OS together with your programs & applications. Your overall performance
should significantly improve.

I realize all this is for the future. First you have to solve your present
problem(s). Good luck.
Anna

=?Utf-8?B?SUpWZWxhcw==?=

      16th Jan 2007
Thanks Anna, really apprecieate your tip. I might gonna try that after I
recover my lost files. Thank you very much. Do you know a good software that
could restore my lost partitions?

Thank you.

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]

> your large-capacity (and presumably faster) SATA HDDs is "because if my
> system gets damaged, I could easily reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP.
> That's what I've been doing ever since.". In my opinion, what you *should*
> be focused on is establishing & maintaining a comprehensive backup program
> that you will routinely use. In that vein you might consider employing a
> disk imaging program or any other backup program that you're comfortable
> with. And in so doing use your 80 GB HDD as the recipient of the backup
> material (assuming it can handle the backed-up data) either as a internal or
> external HDD. And use one of your large-capacity SATA HDDs to install the
> OS together with your programs & applications. Your overall performance
> should significantly improve.
>
> I realize all this is for the future. First you have to solve your present

Anna

      16th Jan 2007
You might want to undertake a Google search for "data recovery programs".
There are many of these programs that purport to resurrect lost data. Many
of them are available as demo programs so you can determine if they're able
to identify such lost data.
Anna