lost or corrupt windows\system32\config\system

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FtYnVzaW5vNzI=?=

      26th Oct 2005
apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a recovery
disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify disk surface and
aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to get this file. If I buy
another xp home edition will my data be saved.

=?Utf-8?B?RGl4b25pYW42OQ==?=

      26th Oct 2005
What brand computer do you have? Recovery software may be on your hard drive.
Can you boot up up in Safe Mode and try Sytem Restore? For you error message,
See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545 It is
quite extensive. You need a Win XP CD for that procedure.

"gambusino72" wrote:

> apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a recovery
> disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify disk surface and
> aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to get this file. If I buy
> another xp home edition will my data be saved.

Malke

      26th Oct 2005
gambusino72 wrote:

> apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a
> recovery disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify
> disk surface and aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to
> get this file. If I buy another xp home edition will my data be saved.

Unfortunately, you will need a real XP CD (not a recovery disk) unless
your OEM has preinstalled the Recovery Console. Some OEM's (HP, I
believe) offer the ability to boot into the Recovery Console at
startup.

In any case, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit [enter]

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Bruce Chambers

      27th Oct 2005
gambusino72 wrote:
> apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a recovery
> disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify disk surface and
> aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to get this file. If I buy
> another xp home edition will my data be saved.

The file in question isn't located on any installation CD. It's part
of your registry, and is unique to your computer.

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH