Loss of wireless connectivity

Ed H.

      19th Mar 2005
Similar problems as others, but no joy on correction
techniques I have seen posted.
Yesterday AM the computer was able to connect to my main
computer via wireless network and then out to the
internet.

Last evening, nothing but "red X's". Symptons
include "wireless network unavailable", when I click
on "View available wireless networks" none show up,
though in the past usually saw both mine and the
neighbors. When I go to Network connections, the LAN icon
has the red X-wireless unavailable. I disable and
attempt to re-enable, receive "connection failed."
Ran IPCONFIG and got:
"Media State...........:Media Disconnected"
Device Manager says the network card is working
properly. Re-installing the driver had no effect.

This all follows a two day battle with a host of nasty
spyware that made its way to this computer via a cable
modem and wireless router (My main computer works fine
luckily). Spybot, EarthlinkSpyBlocker, and MSAS (great
program by the way-assuming I get my network back) got it
all cleaned up and I thought I was golden until last
night's problem. Reading through the chat room last
night thought the fix was near.

Followed the guidance today
of "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350" and also
ran "WinsockfixXP", which based on what I read last night
seemed like the ticket. No effect at all on the
symptoms. I am running WindowsXP SP1.

Computer checks clean of viruses and spyware, and aside
from the network issue runs fine. Would really
appreciate it if anyone had some clues about what to do
to fix this. Appreciate it if you made it this far on
this lengthy post.

Ed

AFM

      19th Mar 2005
For the Internet connectivity issue, please go to a
command prompt and type:
netsh winsock reset
and hit enter.
You can read about the causes of this issue and more about
the fix here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
I'd recommend restarting in safe mode and scanning again,
doing full scans, and continuing to scan until a full scan
comes out clean.

AFM

      19th Mar 2005
The fix in 892350 did not work, winsocketfixXP did not
work, and I am running XP SP1 so the "netsh winsock
reset" command does not work.

Symptoms same as I described. Did run MSAS in safe mode
and found 1 item, MSAS removed it, and rescan was clean.
I did the above steps again and no joy or change in
symptoms. If anyone has any ideas I would welcome them.
Thanks.

Bill Sanderson

      19th Mar 2005
In addition to resetting the Winsock LSP, you can reset TCP/IP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

(another NETSH command--but this one works on sp1

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

"Ed H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:205401c52c3a$53635030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Similar problems as others, but no joy on correction
> techniques I have seen posted.
> Yesterday AM the computer was able to connect to my main
> computer via wireless network and then out to the
> internet.
>
> Last evening, nothing but "red X's". Symptons
> include "wireless network unavailable", when I click
> on "View available wireless networks" none show up,
> though in the past usually saw both mine and the
> neighbors. When I go to Network connections, the LAN icon
> has the red X-wireless unavailable. I disable and
> attempt to re-enable, receive "connection failed."
> Ran IPCONFIG and got:
> "Media State...........:Media Disconnected"
> Device Manager says the network card is working
> properly. Re-installing the driver had no effect.
>
> This all follows a two day battle with a host of nasty
> spyware that made its way to this computer via a cable
> modem and wireless router (My main computer works fine
> luckily). Spybot, EarthlinkSpyBlocker, and MSAS (great
> program by the way-assuming I get my network back) got it
> all cleaned up and I thought I was golden until last
> night's problem. Reading through the chat room last
> night thought the fix was near.
>
> Followed the guidance today
> of "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350" and also
> ran "WinsockfixXP", which based on what I read last night
> seemed like the ticket. No effect at all on the
> symptoms. I am running WindowsXP SP1.
>
> Computer checks clean of viruses and spyware, and aside
> from the network issue runs fine. Would really
> appreciate it if anyone had some clues about what to do
> to fix this. Appreciate it if you made it this far on
> this lengthy post.
>
> Ed

trace89371

      19th Mar 2005
I was having the same problem with my linksys system. MS
Anitspyware is loaded on my wired system. Couldn't sonnect
to the network with my wireless computer. Spent 3 hours on
phone with linksys tech support. Bought new adapter for
card.. didn't work. Bought new router.. didn't work. I had
uninstalled everything from firewall to antivirus on
wireless. Tried all options on security to no avail. Could
always see network just couldn't connect to it. Finally
turned off Antispyware on wired machine.. bam, everything
hooked up. Turned antispyware back on. Lost connection
again. Turned it back off, wireless hooked back up. Not
sure exactly what it is but antispyware is clamping down
the routers network. Hope this might help you.

Bill Sanderson

      19th Mar 2005
This isn't normal--i.e. it is a bug of some sort, and perhaps specific to a
given install. You might try an update install:

control panel. add or remove programs, Microsoft Antispyware, change,
update.

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

"trace89371" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:199a01c52cbb$8c112ed0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was having the same problem with my linksys system. MS
> Anitspyware is loaded on my wired system. Couldn't sonnect
> to the network with my wireless computer. Spent 3 hours on
> phone with linksys tech support. Bought new adapter for
> card.. didn't work. Bought new router.. didn't work. I had
> uninstalled everything from firewall to antivirus on
> wireless. Tried all options on security to no avail. Could
> always see network just couldn't connect to it. Finally
> turned off Antispyware on wired machine.. bam, everything
> hooked up. Turned antispyware back on. Lost connection
> again. Turned it back off, wireless hooked back up. Not
> sure exactly what it is but antispyware is clamping down
> the routers network. Hope this might help you.

Ed H.

      19th Mar 2005
Just tried the "netsh int ip reset" command, looks like
it did what it was supposed to do base on the log, but no
change in symptoms. Still can not connect. Any other
possibilities?

Thanks.

Ed H.

Ed H.

      19th Mar 2005
I do have a Linksys router-I loaded MSAS on the infected
machine (the one that connects via wireless) first and
cleaned it up. I can not recall the exact time frame but
I was pleased with MSAS and loaded it on my main machine
that has the cable modem-perhaps when I did that or
shortly after I lost the wireless connection.

If I understand you correctly, you secured MSAS on the
wired machined and you could then connect with the
wireless machine. I will give that a shot. Thanks very
much.

IRT updating MSAS, are we proposing updating the MSAS on
all networked machines or on the one that can not connect-
my "network" only has two machines, one on the wireless?

Thanks very much for you alls help.

Ed H.

Ed H.

      19th Mar 2005
Well, I disabled first and then removed completely MSAS
from my wired machine and no joy. I do notice now that
on the wired machine when I attempt to repair the Local
Area Connection and the 1394 Connection, both of which
indicate "enabled, bridged", I receive:
"TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot
proceed."

This does not seem right. Is it possible the problem
lies on the wired machine and not on the machine that
connects via the wireless router? I am pretty confident I
do not have a hardware problem but this is starting to
bug me. All of the suggested fixes I have been
performing on the wireless machine, perhaps they should
be performed on the wired machine that also had MSAS
loaded?

Thanks.

wrote
>in message
>>news:199a01c52cbb$8c112ed0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I was having the same problem with my linksys system.

MS
>>> Anitspyware is loaded on my wired system. Couldn't

>sonnect
>>> to the network with my wireless computer. Spent 3

>hours on
>>> phone with linksys tech support. Bought new adapter

for
>>> card.. didn't work. Bought new router.. didn't work.

>had
>>> uninstalled everything from firewall to antivirus on
>>> wireless. Tried all options on security to no avail.

>Could
>>> always see network just couldn't connect to it.

Finally
>>> turned off Antispyware on wired machine.. bam,

>everything
>>> hooked up. Turned antispyware back on. Lost connection
>>> again. Turned it back off, wireless hooked back up.

Not
>>> sure exactly what it is but antispyware is clamping

>down
>>> the routers network. Hope this might help you.
>>>

>>.
>>

>.

Bill Sanderson

      20th Mar 2005
Have you re-run the network setup wizard on both machines?

If I'm remembering right, you've got a wired machine which uses Internet
Connection sharing to share the Internet connection with your wireless
machine?

I take it there's an access point involved? Or is there a router involved,
with one machine wired, and the other wireless?

Re-running the network setup wizard would be worth doing on both machines in
either case, but especially when ICS is involved--this can be difficult to
troubleshoot with just two machines involved--you don't know which is
broken--perhaps both!

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

news:19ac01c52cc1$87122230$(E-Mail Removed)...