Losing the sound icon in my system tray

rmo555@cox.net

      4th Sep 2009
Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that
tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
find it.

SC Tom

      4th Sep 2009

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that
> tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
> find it.

Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark in the
box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..

SC Tom

SC Tom

      4th Sep 2009
Do you show any sound devices in Device Manager? Any yellow or red icons?
Have you done any driver updates that may have disabled your sound card?

SC Tom

"pigpen00" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm having the same problem!!! It just started today when I turned the
> computer on. Have done a reboot, but still not there. I was lucky to
> find this new post. I attempted to do as you said, SC Tom, but I don't
> have that option. I'm running Vista Home Premium. I tried Start>Control
> Panel>Sound and Start>Control Panel>Device Manager>Sound, etc. I don't
> have such a box to check. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'll be
> interested in any replies that will help both rmo555 & me. Despite what
> Simon & Garfunkel may think, the Sounds of Silence are not always
> welcome!!! Thanks, SC Tom, and anyone else who can help.
>

> SC Tom;1128123 Wrote:
>> <rmo555@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:j0j0a5ds396o0hpuf2ei5rcsh7h3a770g4@xxxxxx> > >

>> Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark
>> in the
>> box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..
>>
>> SC Tom

> --
> pigpen00

t-4-2

      4th Sep 2009
You guys ever consider system recovery ? It might be " ho hum ", but it is ,
and should be, the first line of attack.
Try it. Choose the date you KNOW you did have the sound icon.
t-4-2

"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u2yb#(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that
>> tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
>> find it.

> Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark in
> the box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..
>
> SC Tom

John Galt

      4th Sep 2009

"t-4-2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You guys ever consider system recovery ? It might be " ho hum ", but it is ,
>and should be, the first line of attack.
>Try it. Choose the date you KNOW you did have the sound icon.
>t-4-2

Use correct terminology to avoid confusion:

That would be system RESTORE, not system recovery. Recovery is a term
reserved for using OEM media to return the system to like-new
condition.

>"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:u2yb#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that
>>> tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't
>>> find it.

>> Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark in
>> the box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..
>>
>> SC Tom

rmo555@cox.net

      4th Sep 2009
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:06:04 -0500, pigpen00 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>PS: I've also clicked on Customize Notification Icons and the Volume
>icon is missing under both Current and Past Icons, so I can't activate
>it from there. I've also checked the Task Bar & Start Menu Properties,
>only to find that Volume is greyed out. I don't know if that will help
>someone identify the problem or not. I know I can probably do a system
>restore, but I'd like to know why this is happening, if possible. Thanks
>to anyone who can provide some insight.

This continues to happen to me. I'm using Vista Home Premium. If you
right click in the notification area>Properties, you will see check
boxes - one of which is for the sound icon. On my PC, all four boxes
were greyed out. No problems in Device manager. While rebooting, I
notices that my sound icon (lit up on my keyboard) was red (meaning it
was shut off). I pressed it until it showed white - and my sound
returned. However, this doesn't explain why my other three boxes were
greyed out (clock, network and power). There's still a problem
somewhere. Until we figure it out (or someone else does), try
rebooting.

t-4-2

      4th Sep 2009
Thank you for correcting me, mind was not completely clear after 10 hours of
poker game and beer.
t-4-2

"John Galt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "t-4-2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You guys ever consider system recovery ? It might be " ho hum ", but it is
>>,
>>and should be, the first line of attack.
>>Try it. Choose the date you KNOW you did have the sound icon.
>>t-4-2

> Use correct terminology to avoid confusion:
>
> That would be system RESTORE, not system recovery. Recovery is a term
> reserved for using OEM media to return the system to like-new
> condition.
>

>>"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:u2yb#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Go to Control Panel.. Sounds and Audio Devices.. and put a checkmark in
>>> the box Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar..
>>>
>>> SC Tom

PaulM

      4th Sep 2009
I have a script here that will fix the problem, give it a try.

http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34

--
Windows XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com